Toronto Love Park | 3m | 1s | City of Toronto | CCxA

Also the parks layout doesn’t seem ideal for encampments as it is a lot of hard surfaces and sloped grassy mounds.
Regardless as you noted, it doesn't matter to the folks looking for a camp site. PPL will sleep where they can find the space. Seen form to mattress setup on the streets so ppl could sleep on them as well cardboard.

There will be more enforcement here as this is a new park and right in the centre of the tourist area for the waterfront.

I am not very optimistic about this park after seeing Barbara Ann Scott Park a couple of days ago. It was covered in garbage, the fountain was not working, and the cheap, ugly barriers that were put in last winter so skaters wouldn't end up in the scenery were still there, along with a couple of overturned metal ones. Added to those the vast expanses of dead grass and it was absolutely disgraceful. Why would it be any different here?

I am not very optimistic about this park after seeing Barbara Ann Scott Park a couple of days ago. It was covered in garbage, the fountain was not working, and the cheap, ugly barriers that were put in last winter so skaters wouldn't end up in the scenery were still there, along with a couple of overturned metal ones. Added to those the vast expanses of dead grass and it was absolutely disgraceful. Why would it be any different here?

It's mostly good down at Berczy.

I think it's important to say, well designed spaces draw more positive intervention and less tolerance of the negative.

Barbara Ann Scott/College Park had problems on day one and still does. It's also far too invisible to the outside world being almost a court yard surrounded by buildings.

What has happened there is not okay, at all; but I also would not draw an inference that will happen at Love Park; I don't believe it will.

The Music Garden is gorgeous. Parks that both PF&R and WT see as showpieces tend to be better protected.

Also why would the fountain in Barbara Ann Scott Park be working, none have been turned on throughout the city to date I believe so ...

This is my issue with Toronto parks. We have been revitalizing many old spaces and building new spaces over the last decade or so - which is great. However the lack of maintenance/upkeep is appalling. One thing I can say about cities big and small in the US is that they take care of their public spaces. Their level of pride is on a much higher level. As others have noted the waterfront parks are better maintained and I suspect that has to do with Waterfront Toronto's involvement.

Toronto's Parks department is a hilarious mess of a department which causes the maintenance issues. Other agencies or community groups convince them to allow a good quality park to be built.. then they don't know how to / don't care to maintain it.

Toronto's Parks department is a hilarious mess of a department which causes the maintenance issues. Other agencies or community groups convince them to allow a good quality park to be built.. then they don't know how to / don't care to maintain it.
PFR are certainly not perfect but the real problem is LACK OF MONEY due to a decade of low or non-existent tax increases.

PFR are certainly not perfect but the real problem is LACK OF MONEY due to a decade of low or non-existent tax increases.
Agreed but many of these parks are built using parkland dedication and Section 37 money (of which there is an insane amount available downtown). Could they not allocate money from these sources for long term maintenance?

Back