Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

the close up of the ground level is an excellent shot and exposure... the others are a bit dark for my taste, but it looks like you must be using a tripod? Do you have manual settings on your camera? If so I would suggest increasing the exposure time. Sorry, not trying to be critical, only helpful!

the close up of the ground level is an excellent shot and exposure... the others are a bit dark for my taste, but it looks like you must be using a tripod? Do you have manual settings on your camera? If so I would suggest increasing the exposure time. Sorry, not trying to be critical, only helpful!

I have no problem with you been critical of my nighttime photos, as it will only help me to become a better photographer. Until I got this camera, nighttime shooting was a dream with the other cameras.

I am shooting with my new 3 week old Nikon D7000 with a 18-105 lens for all shots these days and using my old cannon sx201 for long range shots. Need to start looking for a 400 zoom as well wide view.

No tripod shots to date. Need to get a real good one where parts can be replace as my current 12th used one has a broken leg.

I find using scene & landscape with no flash to work for me so far at night, but only had 2 nights of tryout so far.

The shot of the tower turn out better than I saw with my naked eye that night.

I have yet to get into manual setting and what would you recommend for those other shots?

Setting I was getting was 1/20-25 F3.5 ISO 1600. The best shot was 1/4 other than the last shot that was 1/8.

Fire way

`
shangs14a.jpg

shangs14b.jpg

dscf0756o.jpg

The real stunner is probably going to be the glass box on the north end of the site. It's seems to be pretty unique from the looks for it.

AoD

I have yet to get into manual setting and what would you recommend for those other shots?

Setting I was getting was 1/20-25 F3.5 ISO 1600. The best shot was 1/4 other than the last shot that was 1/8.

Fire way

hey Drum, sorry for the slow reply - I dont come on here as much as I used to.

the first thing is to get a good tripod, otherwise you wont be able to do longer exposures. Also, this will allow you to use lower ISO settings which gives sharper and less grainy results. For example, a couple of my recent night shots used settings: ISO - 100, f/7.1, 5 seconds... or another: ISO 100, f/4.5, 1.6 seconds.

Most often I shoot in aperture priority mode (A) and so the camera will change the exposure time automatically as you change the aperture settings. It is hard to explain here, but I am still puzzled why some of your shots would turn out so dark? usually my camera gives much brighter results in any sort of automatic or semi-automatic settings.

All I will say is keep learning more about photography and eventually you will know how to get the exact result you want. Your daytime shots are always fantastic and you are a very valuable member of this forum!

Shangri-la can be seen from the Yonge and Bloor area. Burano and TRUMP included. Should be able to see FIVE in this shot as well and of course AURA.

skyline-15-09-2011.jpg

shangri-la-15-09-2011.jpg

thanks for posting!!! so crazy seeing your view, from when Shangri-la was nothing, to the beast that it is now... and this is definitely one of the best glass facades in the city... and actually, i just noticed that the north and south sides of the building look A LOT like Four Seasons!!! the way the vertical strips go up and down, and the way there are little balconies on the corners!

Back