Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

shangrila.JPG

Although I have serious doubts that this project will ever hit grade level in construction, I REALLY want to see this one get built, and operational.

I am all for the re-positioning of Bay St as the new Wall St, and we need a few 5* hotels to keep the fat cats happy!

Every day I say a little incantation to the construction gods: "Please spare the Cheng!" So far, my approach obviously is working.

I too have wondered why Toronto suddenly needs so many big hotels all at once (Ritz, 4 Seasons, Shangri-La, not to mention the smaller ones that are u/c or in the works). But my brother in law from Calgary says that when he comes here on business it's always very difficult to get a room, and that we could definitely use some upgraded space.

So, on to my incantations, "Spare the Cheng".

Yes, our city hotels have seen better days....Visited rooms at the Sutton Place and Holiday inn in the past few months, and can certify them complete dives. But these are hotels that are $150 per night in the off season, so perhaps $300 in the peak season. Shangri La, Four Seasons and the RC are all 5 star plus hotels, that are about 500 in the off season....as i said, its where the fat cats want to stay...and fat cats are a dying breed for the moment.

Although I have serious doubts that this project will ever hit grade level in construction, I REALLY want to see this one get built, and operational.

:eek: Have you made the rounds with this? This is a beauty of a negative comment, you could post this baby on practically every building in this whole website. For those of us not as aware as Mr. Observer....aparently there is a recession going on and Mr. Observer feels the rest of us should be advised because clearly we dont know this. He was good enough to add that things are so unbelieveably bad that this building, and likely most of the others will stop construction any minute now, all economic activilty in the world will stop as there has never been an economic recession ever before and yes, this is the end of the world as we know it. Thanks for the "heads up".

Toronto is lacking good luxury hotels, Montreal has way better luxury hotels than Toronto. I have stayed at the Hazelton Hotel, 5 star prices in a 3 star quality room and service. Ritz, FS, and Shangri-La hotels know how to run 5 star hotels.

Feb 10th photo

Those construction machines look so small they seem like toys. Also this is progressing extremely slow. You can scratch off 2011 for any sort of occupancy.

Attachments

• shangri la.jpg
    shangri la.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 253
Wow ... this must be the deepest hole ever in the last 30+ years!

Actually I think ROCP was deeper than this one. I remember that hole looking like it was the gates of hell.

Back