Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

Adelaide side around the 15th floor.

If I was staying at the hotel, I wouldn't be too impressed.
this I believe is the 3rd piece of glass now. At least 2 would be from balconies.
Clearly a problem with the type of glass.
The first may have been a defective piece but with 3 now it is stretching the imagination a bit to think it might not
be a systemic problem.

I still wish they had added 2 large trees on the roof like the render showed. The "living" shangri la label would have fit a lot better. I guess that would be unsafe though, with the possibility of limbs falling off the building.

There are a bunch of trees on the roof you just can't see them.
Check out this video tour of the penthouse. There's a row of trees planted on the East and West sides of the tower http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktMh5owmwIc

Absolutely pathetic. Someone is going to be seriously injured by falling glass one day. Let's start the countdown to the next falling glass incident.

Adelaide side.

IMG_0507.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 946
Seems like the glass breakage happens whenever there is a sudden shift in temperature in the weather.
The Ontario building code is being changed so that railing glass would be now made of laminated glass to prevent this from happening. Laminated glass will remain in one piece if it breaks and still remain held up by the aluminum structure rather than breaking up in many pieces and falling below. Laminated glass cost almost twice as much as traditional tempered glass so developers are not crazy about this new standard.
Despite this there still will be many condos built with traditional glass railings before this code is fully enforced.

I am amazed that nobody has been killed yet. Imagine if this were on Yonge Street. The city really has to do something about the issue.

When the tempered glass breaks is shatters into a million tiny pieces making the risk of injury very small. The risk of death is non-existent. I worry about a lot of things falling off buildings but tempered glass isn't one of them. If you happened to be on the sidewalk below I imagine it would be like being in a bad hail storm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25aTEa0Of7Q

In February 2013, I visited Shangri-La during the sales of the last few units in the building.
I managed to take a few iPhone panoramas and other pictures of what a furnished unit in this building actually looks like.
They're quite nice, my only complaint is that the VERY low ceiling height really gives a feeling of claustrophobia. Just the developers trying to squeeze as much money out as possible.
BTW, the top two images were taken from the 54th floor, the bottom image from the 30th.
dsddhdhdh.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

Attachments

• dsddhdhdh.jpg
    dsddhdhdh.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_1746.jpg
    IMG_1746.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 691
What are the ceiling heights? Honestly, going by pictures the only recent luxe hotel/condos that actually lives up to the name is Four Seasons IMO. Trump, Shangri La, Ritz are all disappointments in that regard. Of course, I'm only going by photos of residential units.

The features and finishes here is pretty much on par with the other 5-star luxury condos (Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton and Trump). Sub Zero and top-of-the-line Miele appliances, herringbone hardwood floors, luxurious marble bathrooms, quality Boffi wood cabinetry, etc.
Unfortunately, like other condo units resold by investors, many of these sellers didn't do the wisest job in choosing the most tasteful colour and finish selections.

I also agree on the ceiling heights. 9-feet is the norm these days for any condo, and for an ultra luxury condo ceiling heights of at least 10-feet is more appropriate especially when bulkheads robs about a foot off the ceiling height. This is more evident when rooms are more spacious in size which is definitely the case here.

These "luxury" condos seem to be more for aspirational upper middle class buyers as an alternative to a renovated house in Cabbagetown or the Annex rather than an alternative to a house in Lawrence Park or the Bridle Path. The finishes are high quality, but they don't push the envelope in terms of luxury. That living room with the low ceiling looks like an ordinary condo.

Back