Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

... through an almost complete lack of engagement with it, except at times on a very private level. I do see this as changing but for the most part the river, ravines and even the lake have been viewed somewhat indifferently at best, as obstacles at worst, rather than embraced as urban opportunities.

But engaging with the delightfully untamed ravines on a private level is what keeps them from being just another urban experience - and that's what we want, surely?

"Let's urbanize everything for the sake of urbanizing everything!"

...Leave the freakin' ravines alone. Thank you.

6301567944_b81bb67b03_b.jpg

6301037921_9d080c7d76_b.jpg

But engaging with the delightfully untamed ravines on a private level is what keeps them from being just another urban experience - and that's what we want, surely?

In one sense I agree but cities are ultimately about people and the urban spaces that accommodate them, and in this sense I'm inclined to feel that an illusion of being 'untamed' is more interesting and far more accommodating than the reality of being so, in an urban context at least: as with a 'wild' English Garden or with highly successful urban spaces like Central Park or Stanley Park it is the interaction of design and man with nature - an engagement of a different level - that can create this illusion.

In one sense I agree but cities are ultimately about people and the urban spaces that accommodate them, and in this sense I'm inclined to feel that an illusion of being 'untamed' is more interesting and far more accommodating than the reality of being so, in an urban context at least: as with a 'wild' English Garden or with highly successful urban spaces like Central Park or Stanley Park it is the interaction of design and man with nature - an engagement of a different level - that can create this illusion.

So what are you trying to say then? Develop the ravines to create a greater interaction between man and nature, or leave them be as wild spaces?

Probably a little of both, I would think... and I'm not suggesting a heavy handed level of development either. I think Stanley Park is a great example. It feels so natural yet is very designed to be so, and is thereby accessible and beloved and used by all. Again, coming back to my original idea that I find the ravine system in Toronto to be almost invisible and ignored by the vast majority when it could be such an asset...

... and I apologize to all if this has sort of hijacked the Shangri-la thread, and I'm not sure how it happened :)

Happening to get him on the steel beams was just so classic. I hope he doesn't get in trouble. I can see how a cape might be a hazard in his line of work. But he made my (otherwise horrible) day, along with quite a few other people from the looks of it--that's worth something.
Don't reprimand Superman!

I like the simpler west side just as much. Nice to have both I think.

imo, the only cool feature of the west side is that double decker floor box hanging out of the side of the building near the top. pretty sick layout.. it's like the Chaz on charles thing, but less out of place, smaller, and taller,

i can't decide where i'm gonna live Shangri-la or Trump... you don't believe me?!... i'll show you!!! i have dreams ya know! lol!

Back