Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

well, if you read his comments in all the other threads it likely means that he would have prefered that Architects Alliance had designed the building (along with every other project in town). He's a one hit wonder...

From today...
20100829065.jpg

Someone was asking for a render to show cladding colour. Here is one.... I have no idea where I got it from.

Attachments

• Shangri-la 009.jpg
    Shangri-la 009.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 593
Someone was asking for a render to show cladding colour. Here is one.... I have no idea where I got it from.

Trainor, this is from the Living Shangila marketing material.

I believe it shows the building to be silver/pale grey/clear glass. Not Bluish to my eyes but from this diagram it is difficult to make an absolute determination.

to me it appears to be reflecting the colour of the sky which means it could be a reflective blue (ala Bay Adelaide) or yes, perhaps silver. Of course its impossible to tell from the render what will actually be used. Silver would be a very welcome colour addition to our skyline. We should probably find out within the next 3 - 4 months ...

I am believing it is more silver. I base this on the building in front which is I believe an Insurance company building. It is grey in colour (not blue) and from the way they make the rendering, the 2 buildings appear relatively close to each other in colour of glass. SL looks more silvery for the structural components.

attachment.php

That is so fake. Look how the fountain is working.

I believe 42 you are looking at "artist impression/artistic licence" in its most generous form. Let's hope the building works better and that its rendition is not "so fake".

What these renderings and an inspection of the floor plate made me realize is that the building, despite having the chance to be elegantly angled to face up the street, is resolutely turning its side northward! It looks so awkward - as if the building accidentally stepped out into the middle of University. They had a chance to make a memorable view terminus for University and instead, the building has turned its face from us. Boo.

... and if you glance to the left of the tower, on the rendering, there's another similarly missed opportunity in the form of that silver building at the foot of University Avenue at Front.

Parkdalian: I've thought the same thing, though I am still unclear about the precise angle of the building as it faces University. Is it just the podium that is going to be parallel to the angled section of the street while the tower is oriented with the more regular sreet grid (Simcoe St for example)? I've often said that angled building orientations would do a lot to add interest to our skyline...

Back