Toronto Litho. | 36.88m | 8s | RioCan Living | Turner Fleischer

Finishing touches now. LCBO open.

722D3430-DB9E-48AC-A731-A8A29CF3A3C2.jpeg

AEA5F67E-3AC9-43DF-BD0A-1776613387E4.jpeg
E18F8589-362C-46B6-A376-C2AC8FD1EE6C.jpeg
BCF0A547-E368-48C0-9A37-8C2D5729B701.jpeg

Forgot a mask so couldn’t peek inside, but it looks pretty spare (and small) from what I could seel
0AACFF0F-06ED-4253-87D9-347CBD1A70E7.jpeg

Love to live in a city where two human beings can die in relatively close succession because a stretch of road is so dangerous and nothing is done, but a liquor store is good enough reason for some road narrowing.
8D96A7D8-EDE2-426E-A463-E9344DC403E7.jpeg
10631BB0-E7C7-4068-A91C-D19E3A74A3CC.jpeg

Landscaping in. CC: @Northern Light to tell us if we’re going to have a nice, healthy, robust little tree canopy some day!

Hopefully.

The plans are no longer online, so I can't fully assess soil volumes, or ascertain whether silva cells were used.

But from what I can see, you've got an open-trench style planting bed, which typically provides enough soil volume.

The sidewalks are not reinforced/floating, though, so unless there are silva cells, sideways root growth may be impaired.

I see what looks like temporary irrigation hoses (on the surface, if they were permanent, they'd be buried).......

That should help the vegetation establish, but will probably be removed after 2 years. Should be fine, definitely better than gator bags.

Tree Species is Kentucky Coffee Tree. They can throw up good canopy, especially with no wires overhead.

This is what a healthy one looks like when mature:

1632068344845.png

from: https://plants.connon.ca/11100004/Plant/6479/Espresso_Kentucky_Coffeetree

Sept 18, 2021

Some new window posters indicating that Farm Boy is opening soon.

View attachment 350343View attachment 350344View attachment 350345View attachment 350348

That really looks.......stupid.

I was going to say bizarre; but no, stupid works better.

It's not the stone itself, per se.........it's a few things really..

The first thing that strikes me is that the podium has three different treatments, but the 'tower' above has a uniform look.......and it's not set back enough not to clash w/the different podium styles.

It almost feels like someone here read about granularity and breaking up a facade, but never looked at any good examples of how it's done......

The visual delinations give one look to the retail; one to the residential lobby, and another to the vehicle entrance.

The thing is.....the way in which they've arranged things breaks all sorts of design 'rules'.

First you typically want to camouflage the vehicle entrance as much as is possible; certainly not to draw attention to it.

Second, differentiation of the residential entrance is fine, though not strictly required.......but what they've done is highlight a none-too-interesting lobby, while the actual doors are recessed and only 1-storey, while the stone treatment goes up two floors. Huh?

If you wanted to do something like that (not sure you should).....the entrance doors should be centred within that 'accented' area.........the windows of the lobby should then be the full 2 storeys as well.

Really oddly for a company that specializes in retail.............the FarmBoy is what fades into the background, and is given the appearance of single-storey height (not sure how it's configured inside)......but that's just
the reverse of marketing 101; which would say the Farm Boy entrance should be the most visible feature of the podium, unless you're going for a uniform appearance.

Gah!

Oh, and the stone neither matches, nor effectively contrasts with almost industrial treatment of the vehicle entrance, nor the white paneled retail facade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the stone is a farmboy thing

It is; though I don't remember it being quite that hue.............

But regardless, they've extended it across the lobby area (you can see drapery in the window)...........

SMH

...so Farm Boy used better materials for its outfit than the developer did for the rest of the building then. I'm sure that's been done before, but still...something is a bit off and odd with that.

Back