Vaughan Leviathan at Canada's Wonderland | 93.26m | ?s | Cedar Fair

Is the 3min 28sec ride time from when it pulls out of the station to when it stops again, or is that the time from harnasses locked to harnasses unlocked? Because 3.5 minutes of wheels rolling would be amazing!
You probably have 90 seconds just climbing that largest peak, which is probably 3x as high as Wonder Mountain.

Is anybody else disappointed that this ride is just a larger Behemoth? Not sayin' I won't be there next year riding Leviathan, just saying I wanted something unique.

You probably have 90 seconds just climbing that largest peak, which is probably 3x as high as Wonder Mountain.

True. Still seems like a longer ride though compared to most roller coasters. The average coaster I've been on is about 2 minutes from leaving the station to coming to a stop before the station.

Has anyone been to Wonderland this year?
Did they make the Minebuster extra shaky? When I used to go to the park yearly, it felt like every year the ride would get shakier!

I'm a bit disappointed at height. So yea, they broke there own record, no world or even north american records.

I was slightly disappointed too that they didn't go just 14ft taller to claim the record, but then I noticed something important. They never told us the drop height right?

Look at this render;
leviathan1.jpg

Notice the trench at the bottom of the drop? Well, the height of the ride is 306ft right? Steel Dragon in Japan is the current record holder for the tallest complete-circuit coaster drop at 307ft. So Leviathan only needs to go 2ft below ground to beat that.

Pretty sure we have the record for the worlds tallest complete-circuit coaster drop.
Congratulations Wonderland!
indeed :D

Is anybody else disappointed that this ride is just a larger Behemoth? Not sayin' I won't be there next year riding Leviathan, just saying I wanted something unique.

Its not like they're going to stop building roller coasters period after this you know. They can build one with inversions next time, this time they went for speed & height. Besides isn't it great we're getting a coaster that's truly in the top of its class? (btw, yes I know they don't have too much space but there's still enough for a couple more and if need be they can always just remove some of the older ones)

Last edited:
^^ Steel Dragon 2000's lift hill is 318 feet, but the drop is 306 feet. The height of our lift is already 306 feet, and we know it actually goes below ground, so yes, we've beaten Steel Dragon 2000 and likely have the world record for tallest complete-circuit non-launched coaster. I'd estimate the actual drop to be about 315 feet.

I`m no coaster expert or enthusiast so I have a few questions:

-Has it said in the specs somewhere that it goes below ground level? In the renderings, I see a trench, but the track is still on short supports and it does not appear to me to go below ground level at all. Wouldn't it have been cool if it actually did go under ground for a short stretch? If the coaster dove into a tunnel with a small opening at the bottom of the first hill, now that would be extreme and extremely terrifying.

- What is it about this coaster design that is so "mind blowing" and all that? Is it just the sheer height of the drop and the speed associated with that because to me after that first drop there is no really crazy loops and not many extreme turns or inverted sections or anything that sets this coaster apart from any other.

There may be some added features to that trench, I hope they do tunnel it in because it looks rather cheap the way it is now. It definitely does dip down, but we don't know how deep the trench is as of now. I took some screenshots just to illustrate it.

16iifbd.jpg

sxdcg2.jpg

And the coaster itself isn't really mind-blowing or revolutionary, but it is for the manufacturer and for Canada. Also, given the possible world record for longest drop, that's something to be proud of. Plus I heard something about the lift for the hill, being the first in the world to use that lifting technology without two cables. Speed will be the main draw though, since Behemoth is about airtime, Leviathan will be about speed and layout.

[video=youtube;8gJgvsy-B50]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gJgvsy-B50[/video]

[video=youtube;WNSwZeQOujk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNSwZeQOujk[/video]

I know some of you are on roller coaster enthusiast forums... if you guys could post some construction photos along the way as they come in, that would be excellent! Thanks!

Re. the 3min, 28sec ride time...

That video is only 1min, 12 seconds long. Wouldn't they make the time as close to reality as possible? Do they count getting buckled in as part of the ride time?

As you can probably tell, they cut off a large portion of the time it takes to get up the lift hill. Plus, it doesn't show the ride returning to the station. Ride time usually begins the moment you leave the station to the moment you get back.

As you can probably tell, they cut off a large portion of the time it takes to get up the lift hill. Plus, it doesn't show the ride returning to the station. Ride time usually begins the moment you leave the station to the moment you get back.

I thought of that and I'm sure that accounts for SOME of the difference, but an extra 2min, 16 seconds? Seems like a big discrepancy.

I thought of that and I'm sure that accounts for SOME of the difference, but an extra 2min, 16 seconds? Seems like a big discrepancy.

It'll probably take a more than a minute to get up the lift hill and more than a minute to return to the station after the brake run, so it should be pretty accurate. I would prefer if the videos showed the entire ride, but they did the same thing when the released the Behemoth videos.

Back