Toronto Leslie Slip Lookout Park | ?m | ?s | CreateTO

Did anyone bother to look at original design? A lot of the Claude Cormier (CC +A) charm is missing. The shape & look of the tower is completely different. From full, curved & animated to smaller, flat & severe. A big change. That’s the centrepiece of the whole space. The pathways are now black tar from a more enhancing grey. More seating? But did they take away those delightful white wheel structures around park. I hope not.
Will they take away the broad middle boardwalk jutting onto sand? Another cool feature. Not impressive imo, especially for a waterfront feature.

Thanks for these great shots! Check out our latest drone video here:
For the click adverse.

IMG_6543.png

IMG_6542.png

IMG_6540.png

The boardwalk into the sand is an accessibility feature that probably won't be canceled, but you never know with this city...
Surprised people are praising it. If I didn’t see the original appealing design, I would think it’s an OK space-but I would have still hated the black surface pathway for a waterfront park. So many other options. Unfortunately, lots of shortcuts taken here.

Surprised people are praising it. If I didn’t see the original appealing design, I would think it’s an OK space-but I would have still hated the black surface pathway for a waterfront park.

I think one could reasonably discuss an alternative to asphalt paving here, but to my recollection, as with AoD above, and looking back through the earlier design iterations, it appears to me it was always going to be asphalt. So I can't really be disappointed with delivery of exactly what was promised in that regard.

So many other options. Unfortunately, lots of shortcuts taken here.

I'm not sure where else you see VE'ing here?

As I look through the iterations.....I think preferred the cylindrical structure as shorter w/no roof...... I'm not sure they that evolved the way it did.

On overall budget, I can tell you there was a competition here, and I know one of the other proponents..........their design was not chosen based on projected cost exceeding budget.

I think one could reasonably discuss an alternative to asphalt paving here, but to my recollection, as with AoD above, and looking back through the earlier design iterations, it appears to me it was always going to be asphalt. So I can't really be disappointed with delivery of exactly what was promised in that regard.

I'm not sure where else you see VE'ing here?

As I look through the iterations.....I think preferred the cylindrical structure as shorter w/no roof...... I'm not sure they that evolved the way it did.

On overall budget, I can tell you there was a competition here, and I know one of the other proponents..........their design was not chosen based on projected cost exceeding budget.
Lighter asphalt would have been an improvement for this small space. The final look just doesn’t look very Claude Cormier’ish. Light & fun.
Love Park was spot on.

Lighter asphalt would have been an improvement for this small space. The final look just doesn’t look very Claude Cormier’ish. Light & fun.
Love Park was spot on.

Love Park is very much value-engineered - the broad strokes from the original design remained - the details, not so much. I find the treatment harsher than what this park received (given the context).

AoD

I really hate BlogTO as they keep referring to this park as a fake beach! I prefer the German ‘künstlickerstrand.’

For example Lesliestrassekünstlickerstrand.

Or in French: plage aménagée.

And finally because I am a total prat the Icelandic: gerviströnd. Eg: (Ryan) Goslinggerviströnd.

😜🇫🇷🇩🇪🇮🇸

Last edited:
Love Park is very much value-engineered - the broad strokes from the original design remained - the details, not so much. I find the treatment harsher than what this park received (given the context).

AoD
Cost cutting or not, whether you like LP or not. It turned out wonderfully for a lot of people. A lot of appealing details are (still) there.
I remember being intrigued by the visuals of Lookout Slip a year ago & now …a bit underwhelmed, even for an “industrial area”.

Biked by here last night - fences/hoarding still up. Looking good so far. I wonder how they'll manage dust from the Strada aggregates depot next door.

I was also accompanied by a couple of groundhogs during my photoshoot

PXL_20240626_000635920.jpg

PXL_20240626_000743688.jpg

PXL_20240626_000857488.jpg

PXL_20240626_001125750.jpg

PXL_20240626_001209742.jpg

PXL_20240626_001308412.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240626_000850711.jpg
    PXL_20240626_000850711.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 6

Back