Toronto Lawrence East Transit-Oriented Community | 132m | 36s | Infrastructure ON | Weston Williamson

artyboy123

Member Bio
Reaction score
The proposed TOC at the Lawrence and McCowan Station would deliver approximately 770 residential units, including affordable units, approximately 350 new jobs, and new retail and office space.

Residents and the surrounding community would also benefit from more greenspace and a new park. Opportunities have been built into the transit station design to permit pedestrian connections to a transit plaza. The future TOC offers a drop-off area and underground parking facility, and will offer quick and easy access to the Lawrence and McCowan Station.

1ce9a338d36a893e07a4b54e2305dcef.png

Conceptual design of the proposed Lawrence East transit-oriented community.

Interesting, that explains why the Shoppers Drug Mart at 685 McCowan closed recently.

How far south does this redevelopment go? Is my sketch below accurate?

1698864801745.png

Interesting, that explains why the Shoppers Drug Mart at 685 McCowan closed recently.

How far south does this redevelopment go? Is my sketch below accurate?

View attachment 517055

Goes just a bit further south, to the edge of the building with the black roof:

1698865479289.png

Meh, it's all just silly visioning. Why would anyone build 70k of Class A office at Lawrence and McCowan?

What's most silly is this. -30m to track level???? WTF???

1709920298695.png

Meh, it's all just silly visioning. Why would anyone build 70k of Class A office at Lawrence and McCowan?

I'm inclined to agree w/you here PE, but I would throw up an asterisk; IF the province keeps the hospital here, and redevelops, I expect this will be a huge new facility and I can very much envision a market specifically for medical offices kitty corner to the hospital. But, we're that the plan, they should structure the office w/that use in mind, and possibly lab space as well. Its difficult to know, because I don't think the province has yet settled on keeping the General where it is long term.

What's most silly is this. -30m to track level???? WTF???

The distance is unfortunate; but unlike elsewhere, there is a compelling reason for it..........the line must pass under Highland Creek, just to the north, which is at a significantly lower elevation than Lawrence.

In light of that, my greater issue is with the inclusion of a completely unnecessary intermediate level, just build longer escalators and/or high-capacity, higher-speed elevators to move people, the excess number of levels adds time to a commute and cost to the station build-out.

Last edited:
Is this really Arcadis on the design here or just AOR? This design could pass as SvN or even current Henning Larsen.

If so, the Arcadis buyout of IBI might be the best thing that happened to Canadian architecture in the past decade.

Is this really Arcadis on the design here or just AOR? This design could pass as SvN or even current Henning Larsen.

If so, the Arcadis buyout of IBI might be the best thing that happened to Canadian architecture in the past decade.
Not even remotely close. But we might get a slight upgrade with them at best. /shrug

Last edited:

A correction has been made to the database file, the primary architect on the project is Weston Williamson + Partners.

As part of the OneT+ consortium, Arcadis has primarily been involved in planning and technical consulting for the project.

I'm inclined to agree w/you here PE, but I would throw up an asterisk; IF the province keeps the hospital here, and redevelops, I expect this will be a huge new facility and I can very much envision a market specifically for medical offices kitty corner to the hospital. But, we're that the plan, they should structure the office w/that use in mind, and possibly lab space as well. Its difficult to know, because I don't think the province has yet settled on keeping the General where it is long term.

The distance is unfortunate; but unlike elsewhere, there is a compelling reason for it..........the line must pass under Highland Creek, just to the north, which is at a significantly lower elevation than Lawrence.

In light of that, my greater issue is with the inclusion of a completely unnecessary intermediate level, just build longer escalators and/or high-capacity, higher-speed elevators to move people, the excess number of levels adds time to a commute and cost to the station build-out.
I agree, this area needs to be defined especially with the new station. This neighbourhood is presently a mix of medical buildings, retirement homes and ambulance stations and unfortunately it might loose the hospital because of its age. Tough site to redevelop a new hospital especially with highland creek behind it, however lots of older bungalows, low rise buildings and even a small Lutheran church sitting on acres of land overlooking highland creek. With this area being designated TOC people need to know what they are buying into long term.

and unfortunately it might loose the hospital because of its age.

Just for clarity, the patient tower, in its current form would be no loss at all insofar as its replaced with newer and better.

The issue here is that the province and SHN need to clarify whether Scarborough will continue to support 3 hospital campuses in the long term, and if so, whether one of those will be the current General site.

I happen to think that 3 campuses should be retained.

When looking at catchment areas, I think there is a real case to move the General south to a site on Eglinton; but that's an expensive undertaking to say the least, Absent such a move, I think the General should stay where it is; more or less.

Tough site to redevelop a new hospital especially with highland creek behind it, however lots of older bungalows, low rise buildings and even a small Lutheran church sitting on acres of land overlooking highland creek. With this area being designated TOC people need to know what they are buying into long term.

I don't know that its as tough as you'd think........

1710617451949.png

There's a lot of surface parking there, and I checked, none of it is within the regulatory floodplain.

To the west there's also a 2-storey facility for mental health and support of young parents, which could be shifted relatively easily to a new site, to the east of that, before the City's LTC is a medical office building, also quite stout.

The medical offices shift to the ToC, Rosalie Hall shifts to the medical office site and a portion of its existing land, that leaves a lot of space for a phased-rebuild of the General. The parking (excluding what's under the hydro wires) is ~1.7ha.

Its really a very under-built site.

Street level of the parking:

1710618086041.png

The community is built around the hospital so it would be tough to loose it. Having said that it’s days are definitely numbered, the towers old and the original building is even older,
Just for clarity, the patient tower, in its current form would be no loss at all insofar as its replaced with newer and better.

The issue here is that the province and SHN need to clarify whether Scarborough will continue to support 3 hospital campuses in the long term, and if so, whether one of those will be the current General site.

I happen to think that 3 campuses should be retained.

When looking at catchment areas, I think there is a real case to move the General south to a site on Eglinton; but that's an expensive undertaking to say the least, Absent such a move, I think the General should stay where it is; more or less.

I don't know that its as tough as you'd think........

View attachment 548759

There's a lot of surface parking there, and I checked, none of it is within the regulatory floodplain.

To the west there's also a 2-storey facility for mental health and support of young parents, which could be shifted relatively easily to a new site, to the east of that, before the City's LTC is a medical office building, also quite stout.

The medical offices shift to the ToC, Rosalie Hall shifts to the medical office site and a portion of its existing land, that leaves a lot of space for a phased-rebuild of the General. The parking (excluding what's under the hydro wires) is ~1.7ha.

Its really a very under-built site.

Street level of the parking:

View attachment 548768

Back