Mississauga Lakeview Village | ?m | ?s | Argo Developments | Sasaki

Interview with the developer:

Was a bit surprised to hear that a BRT (more proto BRT, with dedicated centre bus lanes and some platforms) is planned along Lakeshore--apparently from Cawthra to Dixie. I guess the city sees the long-run solution being to extend the WLRT TTC line west potentially as far Port Credit GO, rather than extending HuLRT, which is interesting. Their own study shows 40% of trips going to northern Mississauga and only 20% to Toronto. And WLRT is darn slow. I would expect transit riders on Mississauga Lakeshore to transfer to GO to get somewhere quickly.

DJI_0309.JPG
DJI_0313.JPG
DJI_0310.JPG

I guess they have a lot of inventory to move. It will be interesting to see how this triggers redevelopment north and west. The light industrial just to the west will probably be redeveloped.

The light industrial just to the west will probably be redeveloped.
That would be unfortunate. People forget sometimes that walkable communities include places to work that aren’t retail.

Though I’m probably fooling myself that those who work at the light residential in the area would be able to live in this new neighbourhood.

That would be unfortunate. People forget sometimes that walkable communities include places to work that aren’t retail.

Though I’m probably fooling myself that those who work at the light residential in the area would be able to live in this new neighbourhood.

That entire light-industrial zone over as far as East Ave. is about 26ha or 65 acres.

But for the sewage and water treatment plants which have to stay, it's all potentially waterfront, with waterfront parkland and a higher order transit corridor.

That's potentially high value land.

None of the residual industry seems to require water access, the rail spur is gone, and it's not particularly close to the highway.

The challenge, to me, is we do need to preserve these types of jobs; relocating them to where the existing infrastructure is, within the already built-up area would be prohibitive; and that would seem to only allow for more sprawl, should the jobs be retained.

For employment use that doesn't throw off massive pollution, I don't wonder if we can't find cost-efficient ways to bring back multi-storey factory/warehouse buildings that actually have a dab of architectural appeal.

The idea being that more efficient use of land might allow for such areas to stay; and that a bit of aesthetic appeal might reduce the desire to oust them.

Lakeview Innovation District: https://www.thefutureisunlimited.ca/lakeview-innovation-district/
Article: https://www.thefutureisunlimited.ca.../Mississauga-Lakeview-Innovation-District.pdf
The Lakeview Innovation District will become a world-renowned centre for innovation with access to transit, connecting industry and employment to the lake and driving inclusive, and sustainable growth.

Lakeview-District-Exterior.jpg

Lakeview-District-Interior.jpg

Lots of renders from 2018 (stills, videos, interactives) by Cicada: http://www.cicadadesign.ca/work/lakeview/
vw10_aerial_cropped-2048x1672.jpg

Seems rather delusional. I think they may struggle a bit finding good tenants because this site is relatively hard to access from a regional standpoint. Maybe one day we will get an in-fill GO station at Cawthra, but that is still 1.5km from these offices.

Last edited:
In terms of tenants, I do think it'll be interesting, there are now so many of these urbanized suburban nodes with Markham City Center, Vaughan city center, you can probably even throw in downtown Mississauga into the mix now that they're a push for more office development. It'll be interesting as they're all competing against each other in ways.

Back