Mississauga Lakeview Village | ?m | ?s | Argo Developments | Sasaki

Lakeview is one the few places in Mississauga that has a chance to become urban and therefore not become a ghetto like all suburbs will as Jame Howard Kunstler predicts. Lakeview, and places like it along Lakeshore, Hurontario, and Dundas, are Mississauga's last chance and I support their redevelopment.

Even though they were once designed for the middle-class, the inner suburbs of Toronto are already seeing increasing poverty, and, since Mississauga is the Scarborough of the West, it is only a matter of time before it happens to Mississauga too.

here's another article from today's National Post.....love the headline...:D

Will Mississauga be the next Chicago?

By Natalie Alcoba, National Post

Mississauga city council will be presented tomorrow with a vision for a transformed waterfront that could include a Chicago-like pier at the site of the former Lakeview generating station.

“When you think about it, every great city has got two things,†Jim Tovey, the spirited force behind the project, explained yesterday in the kitchen of his Lakeview home. “They have a really vital downtown core and they all have a natural feature that they enhance and make a destination spot to attract people from all over. This is Mississauga’s opportunity.â€

Mr. Tovey, president of the local ratepayers association, and landscape architect John Danahy have put thousands of hours into imagining an alternative legacy to the industrial, utility and military past of Lakeview, located east of Port Credit.

They will unveil their big ideas tomorrow, asking councillors to imagine a future in which people have full access to more than 200 hectares of prime waterfront real estate, occupied in part today by corridors of former industrial buildings that look desolate and forlorn.

Why not change the picture completely, the men ask, with tree-lined promenades and such amusement destinations as a Ferris wheel, aquarium, marine or ecological Great Lakes museum.

Their virtual tour illustrates the array of possibilities for such a large untapped parcel of land that can comfortably accommodate a development like Toronto’s Distillery District, Chicago’s famed Navy Pier, a baseball diamond or amphitheater, and still have room for mid- and low-rise residential and commercial development south of Lakeshore Road.

Under their plan, Lakeview’s population would double and more jobs would be created, Mr. Danahy said. The residents say there is a potential for almost $2-billion worth of development.

“The real issue is what should this be and what could it be if we thought big like Mayor [Richard] Daley in Chicago, people with real urban vision,†said Mr. Danahy, director of the University of Toronto’s centre for landscape research.

“It takes a mayor, it takes a provincial government, it takes a federal government.â€

Local councillor Carmen Corbasson contends that Lakeview, which used to be a weapons training ground and housed armament factories during the Second World War before it turned to generating power, has done its fair share for the community.

A water treatment plant and the landfill will remain, but she wants council to “strongly oppose†building another power plant where the old one used to stand.

The Ontario Power Authority is expected to announce later this year where it will put another gas plant, and Lakeview as a site is apparently a contender.

Ms. Corbasson wants staff to start looking at innovative ways to develop the lands without a plant. The vision put forward by Mr. Tovey and associates is well thought out, she said, but still needs to be evaluated by professional staff “as far as planning principles go.â€

It is clear to Ms. Corbasson that whatever happens in Lakeview will depend on the kind of future that Mississauga wants for its lakefront. “This is really our last opportunity to develop our waterfront into what I call a diverse multi-faceted community for the 21st century,â€she said. “Lets not waste it.â€

`Vibrant waterfront' plan approved

TheStar.com - GTA - `Vibrant waterfront' plan approved

Mississauga council nixes new power plant

February 28, 2008
Phinjo Gombu
Staff Reporter

Mississauga council has unanimously endorsed a unique citizen-driven plan for the sprawling Lakeview lands that could transform the area around a former coal-fired power plant into a thriving $2 billion waterfront community.

Yesterday's vote was witnessed by hundreds of residents, who jammed council chambers and applauded repeatedly.

The council resolution calls on the province to ensure that a gas-powered plant won't replace the coal-powered one that once thrust four smokestacks high into the sky south of Lakeshore Rd. between Cawthra and Dixie Rds. The stacks came down in June 2006, the rest of the hulking plant a year later.

The industrial area the citizen plan envisions redeveloping totals about 200 hectares, nearly 80 of which the province owns through Ontario Power Generation.

The plan by the 800-member Lakeview Ratepayers Association extends existing waterfront trails and parklands and adds a major feature such as an aquarium or pier. It also envisions doubling the area's population by adding new medium-rise towers – enough people to support extending the TTC streetcar line into Mississauga, from the current Long Branch terminus all the way to Hurontario St.

"This is a historic day for the City of Mississauga," said Jim Tovey, president of the residents' association and a driving force behind the project, along with University of Toronto landscape professor and architect John Danahy.

The crowd cheered as Danahy showed his computer-modelled Lakeview Legacy Plan, and as councillors proclaimed one after another that they would do all they could to make it a reality.

Tovey and Danahy used Google Earth and mapping data from the University of Toronto to come up with the plan, which they said involved thousands of hours of work and input from residents.

"This is our last opportunity to create a vibrant waterfront," said Councillor Carmen Corbasson. "It belongs to us and we must take advantage of it."

Some of the warmest cheers came near the start of the meeting, when Mayor Hazel McCallion buoyed hopes with a letter she'd just received from Energy Minister Gerry Phillips.

Phillips wrote that while Lakeview remains a potential site, OPG's estimate for energy needed in the southwest GTA until 2013 was an extra 850 megawatts.

McCallion interpreted that to mean that another gas-fired power plant in Mississauga proposed by Sithe Global – which has received regulatory approval for a site east of Winston Churchill Blvd., between Royal Windsor Dr. and Lakeshore Rd. – could easily handle the demand. The estimate, she suggested, could also eliminate the need for Eastern Power's gas-fired plant near Dundas St. E. and Dixie Rd.

Since Lakeview used to be an electricity generating plant, whatever is built should be able to generate electricity through solar panels on every roof in the project as well as wind turbines on the piers that stick out into the lake.
In addition, the construction standards should be done using the R-2000 certification as minimum.

I assume this idea has been flying under the UT radar or something. First posted here on Feb 19 and already approved by city council. Moving fast.

I think this thread should move to the developments section, people look in there more often.

I'm mystified that The Mississauga Muse mulls that this is some Machiavellian scheme to rid Mississauga of its mis-fortuned and maligned. It was a grassroots proposal that Council heard and absolutely agreed with, and supported by local ratepayers. Urbanizing Lakeshore rather than building a new power plant. I think anyone would agree with that.

I think this thread should move to the developments section, people look in there more often.

I'm mystified that The Mississauga Muse mulls that this is some Machiavellian scheme to rid Mississauga of its mis-fortuned and maligned. It was a grassroots proposal that Council heard and absolutely agreed with, and supported by local ratepayers. Urbanizing Lakeshore rather than building a new power plant. I think anyone would agree with that.

Shes worried it will force out the poor living in the affordable housing to the North. I think its great. The conditions of the housing in the area is pathetic anyways. I knew someone who lived just off Fergus and the place had problems with infestations. He always complained about getting notices to move furniture because fumigators would be called in every so often. Im sure there can be provisions in the 'new lakeview' for new affordable housing, especially since the current stock wont (and shouldn't) be around for long.

easy access to GO, Highway, Subway, Toronto and Mississauga.

Why not live there??? :cool:

This proposal is a simply superb idea. It has the potential of turning into the next Port Credit.

There are some work/live units going up along lakeshore - priced at $259K/unit. If this proposal is realized, those prices will skyrocket.

That last paragraph of yours. Oh THANKS for the cheery thought there, guy.

Thanks for answering doady. Not suggesting declining property values are great or that an area stagnates either. Great to have soaring property values if you intend to sell. I'm just wondering about that area because it feels like what my parents (80/85) are currently into. Same house since 1950's.

I suspect a nice jump once that tax freeze comes off. They also have monster houses sprouting about. I'm just wondering what happens to the elderly couple or the widow or widower nestled in something like a potential Lakeview redevelopment.

Better than having a power plant no question.

Then again they could look on the bright side and hope they die before their house is taxed out from under them...

Just wondering... I'll be at tomorrow's Council meeting so I'll get a better idea then, I suppose.

Thanks

There are two low-income or gov't subsidized apartments in the area:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...716,-79.563364&spn=0.002204,0.006094&t=k&z=18

It can be seen in the middle of this page.

The other is here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...011,-79.553289&spn=0.001102,0.003047&t=k&z=19

Other than that, the many small homes in this area are being sold off, torn down and rebuilt.

As long as the proposal replaces or adds to any subsidized housing it demolishes, I can't see a problem with it,

I wouldn't live here unless they closed the water treatment facility next door. If the winds are coming off of the lake it creates a nasty stink.

I wouldn't live here unless they closed the water treatment facility next door. If the winds are coming off of the lake it creates a nasty stink.

Peel going to expand it even more.

I live in the house Jack built on Atwater that was not square on a 25' lot. Small front, but large backyard.

Most of the homes were built in the 20's.

Smell open your eyes.

The lastest expansions reduced the smell to basically nothing. It's a huge improvement over 5 years ago. Whether the expansions cause any more problems is another question, but we'll see.

Back