Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Every builder accounts for some downtime because of the weather, but would you have predicted this winter in advance? No-one did; this has been far colder than typical years.

If they've taken a few minutes to observe the animals, they might realize this winter will be bad. Usually the squirrels hide their nuts in the ground. This year, the squirrels were hiding them up in trees.

How convenient to be able to blame the bad weather for the lack of progress. I personally think there are other reasons. I have seen the cladding of other buildings go up much faster even in the cold, and on the L Tower there wasn't much progress even in the summer. I have noticed poor window quality (broken glass and seals all over) and mentioned it in on the forum before only to be told that this is normal during construction. I don't think so. I compare this for example with the cladding at Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Toronto. There might have been some problems as well (not that I have noticed any), but for sure not to that extend as we see at the L Tower. Also progress at Southcore has been much faster, even in the cold.

The other explanation given here is that the L Tower construction is so much more complicated. Maybe, but does this justify the cladding process to take more than two years? To build the complicated concrete tower itself took less time than that (topping off was celebrated in October 2012 with cladding already half way up).

Last edited:
How convenient to be able to blame the bad weather for the lack of progress. I personally think there are other reasons. I have seen the cladding of other buildings go up much faster even in the cold, and on the L Tower there wasn't much progress even in the summer. I have noticed poor window quality (broken glass and seals all over) and mentioned it in on the forum before only to be told that this is normal during construction. I don't think so. I compare this for example with the cladding at Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Toronto. There might have been some problems as well (not that I have noticed any), but for sure not to that extend as we see at the L Tower. Also progress at Southcore has been much faster, even in the cold.

The other explanation given here is that the L Tower construction is so much more complicated. Maybe, but does this justify the cladding process to take more than two years? To build the complicated concrete tower itself took less time than that (topping off was celebrated in October 2012 with cladding already half way up).

I agree udo. How convenient is right! I mean I understand there would be small delays because of the weather, i would even expect that ... but I keep remembering all those summer/fall months last year when the weather was just fantastic and it just seemed like all activity on the penthouse and above went to an abrupt halt. As you mentioned, there had to be other reasons … because nothing was done. I was always travelling beside the L so I could observe this first hand. The only other reason is that the construction was complicated ... and that excuse is almost not good anymore due to the delays they had in the summer.
All these "weather delays" are excuses and extremely convenient.
Just my opinion

Btw udo … congrats on your 500th post … always amazing shots !!

… congrats on your 500th post … always amazing shots !!

Thank you wolf. You apparently need 500 posts to be promoted to Senior UT Member. It took me about 6 years.

Last edited:
Every project has been slowed by the winter. This one's partly been slowed by all the custom engineering solutions required to tackle the architecture. I'm not sure what percentage of the delays can be attributed to one thing or another. Meanwhile, they don't sit on these things because they feel like it; construction delays cost developers money. If they could have it done tomorrow, they would.

Meanwhile, if you want to see another project that seems to be taking forever, check out

Meanwhile, they don't sit on these things because they feel like it; construction delays cost developers money. If they could have it done tomorrow, they would.

I understand that developers don't delay projects on purpose, but they are the ones who plan the projects and make the difficult decisions what suppliers to use. There is cost pressure on one hand and quality and risk considerations on the other hand. In hindsight it is easy to say which decisions were the right ones and which ones were the wrong ones. As an outside observer I can only speculate, but to me it seems that in case of L Tower the choice of glass supplier turned out to be a wrong decision and significantly contributed to the delays we are now seeing.

That patch of all blue towards the top for vents is a little unfortunate but I'm still very pleased with this tower. Interested to see what sort of lighting treatment it gets, or at least how it will look with people living in it.

If they've taken a few minutes to observe the animals, they might realize this winter will be bad. Usually the squirrels hide their nuts in the ground. This year, the squirrels were hiding them up in trees.

For the rest of us I think extra heavy long underwear would work.

I'm trying to understand why they decided to accentuate the horizontal spandrel near the the top when the rest of the building emphasizes vertical stripes? Kinda ruins the flow of the tower when viewed from the south.

Back