Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

The entire weight of the boom and all the counterweight assembly are now hanging to one side and putting additional stress on the podium and top support brace as well. It looks like it's tilting away from the building ever so slightly. Is there a chance the bolts for the top support brace could shear off with the additional load and more strong winds? If so, the entire top portion of the crane could come down..

[video=youtube;84HOXzflMd4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=84HOXzflMd4[/video]

Last edited:
I don’t know how the people at One57 got themselves into this mess and I do know they have their work cut out getting out of it. There will be a thorough investigation and it’s not my place to say what may or may not have happened. I will make some observations at the risk of probable future admonishment. I hope only allay fears of a similar situation at The L Tower.

If a luffing jib crane is parked at approximately 60 degrees and allowed to weather vane (no swing brakes applied), this failure is highly unlikely. It’s clear from the photo that the boom of the One57 crane has been forced over the back of the crane. It’s easy to suggest that this was due to wind. If a luffing jib (Boom) crane has been parked at an appropriate boom angle (60 degrees) and the swing brakes are open, the boom will face in the direction of the wind and it will not blow over the back. A luffing crane under power with multiple limit switch failures can pull itself over the back. I don’t think this has happened in this case. Catastrophic failure is always possible and new ways to cause it come up all the time. Don’t expect anything like this at the L Tower. This thread will provide hundreds of pictures of the L Tower crane blowing in the wind at 60 degrees.

CNN has a live feed of this situation and the tip of the failed boom can be seen moving slightly back and forth. At the risk of stating the obvious, this is not over yet. A brief description of metal fatigue will help explain what I mean. Grab an empty beer can by the top and bottom and try to pull it apart. Not happening. Crush it a little and then fold it back and forth a few times and you’re Hulk Hogan. It rips apart like paper. The constant motion of the already bent steel in the collapsed boom will more than likely produce more drama. Steveve should keep his distance.

Wow. Thanks for that Sky. Fascinating stuff.
Just came in from my balcony at 1 Scott St.
Looking up across the street at the Ltower's crane wobbling in this increasing wind is a certainly an unnerving sight.

c90b5f95-21a2-4193-87af-5a23ecfdff9d_500.jpg

I'm glad that L-Tower did not loose it's crane last night. News reported the One57 NYC crane collapsed in 45 mph wind speeds.

Manhattan Construction Crane Collapses At One57 Luxury Tower
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...047e1c-2229-11e2-92f8-7f9c4daf276a_story.html

Attachments

• c90b5f95-21a2-4193-87af-5a23ecfdff9d_500.jpg
    c90b5f95-21a2-4193-87af-5a23ecfdff9d_500.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
Yes, I won't be an easy fix.
Was there any damage at all from the wind gusts at L-Tower?
It would be incredible if not, as you can see from news broadcasts, there was widespread damages all over the city, and as close as Church and King streets. Hydro poles and trees blown over in several areas of the city. We can count our blessings when we compare Toronto to New York and New Jersey.

I don’t know how the people at One57 got themselves into this mess and I do know they have their work cut out getting out of it. There will be a thorough investigation and it’s not my place to say what may or may not have happened. I will make some observations at the risk of probable future admonishment. I hope only allay fears of a similar situation at The L Tower.

If a luffing jib crane is parked at approximately 60 degrees and allowed to weather vane (no swing brakes applied), this failure is highly unlikely. It’s clear from the photo that the boom of the One57 crane has been forced over the back of the crane. It’s easy to suggest that this was due to wind. If a luffing jib (Boom) crane has been parked at an appropriate boom angle (60 degrees) and the swing brakes are open, the boom will face in the direction of the wind and it will not blow over the back. A luffing crane under power with multiple limit switch failures can pull itself over the back. I don’t think this has happened in this case. Catastrophic failure is always possible and new ways to cause it come up all the time. Don’t expect anything like this at the L Tower. This thread will provide hundreds of pictures of the L Tower crane blowing in the wind at 60 degrees.

CNN has a live feed of this situation and the tip of the failed boom can be seen moving slightly back and forth. At the risk of stating the obvious, this is not over yet. A brief description of metal fatigue will help explain what I mean. Grab an empty beer can by the top and bottom and try to pull it apart. Not happening. Crush it a little and then fold it back and forth a few times and you’re Hulk Hogan. It rips apart like paper. The constant motion of the already bent steel in the collapsed boom will more than likely produce more drama. Steveve should keep his distance.

where did you get that information from? the wind speeds down on the Atlantic coast far exceeded anything we got around here.

I got that from a news report at the time of the collapse. Keep in mind, this collapse took place before the biggest wind gusts arrived in downtown Manhattan.
Yes, we ended up not getting as much as the weather warnings forecasted overnight. At least not over 100 Km/hr that I know of.

No one really expected Sandy to cause as much flooding as it did. At least we hoped it wouldn't. I wish I could fly down there and help out. Good to see some people from Canada has headed there to assist.

Click on image if you want to see it in full size.

Thanks for the photo update of L-Tower.

Donald Trump stated that he was watching the One57 crane in NYC from his building before it collapsed, and observed the it was left in a position much too high, in an upward direction, which caused the wind to flip it over. Whomever is responsible will have to answer to that. It is not going to be easy to get to the crane in order to fix it.

My heart goes out to everyone in New York City, Jersey Shore, and beyond.

Back