Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Wouldn't it have been better to put in a few nice planters, with some really beautiful plants and flowers?

I suppose you have a point...I mean why go to all the trouble to hire world renowned landscape artists, when all you really need to do is go to Home Depot and throw some crap in the back of a truck.

Today: Looks like crane operator SkyJacked is hard at work finishing off the L-Tower :D

rZk8g.jpg

Last edited:
This is a great example of how supposed "cheapening" (I hate that word), as in the removal of the boot, actually turned out to be a good thing. I personally much prefer this boot-less incarnation. It doesn't overwhelm the original Sony/Hummingbird/O'Keefe centre, which is a building to be admired, not hidden.

Not missing the original design at all, so happy to have seen the boot be given the boot - now the tower is a svelte exclamation mark. This is an elegant building of unusual proportions and geometry. It's a great gift to Toronto.

Nice pic, JoeJohn
Thanks for posting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching CNN now, the crane on top of One57 has been ripped a part. Seeing how L-Tower uses a similar crane setup as One57 and with the winds starting to pick up now, could this potentially happen here? Skyjacked, feel free to chime in.

One57
A6ZQE78CEAIPaX8.jpg

Steveve is in New York and claims he has taken pics and vids of the One57 crane dangling just above him! Can't wait to see that.

I don’t know how the people at One57 got themselves into this mess and I do know they have their work cut out getting out of it. There will be a thorough investigation and it’s not my place to say what may or may not have happened. I will make some observations at the risk of probable future admonishment. I hope only allay fears of a similar situation at The L Tower.

If a luffing jib crane is parked at approximately 60 degrees and allowed to weather vane (no swing brakes applied), this failure is highly unlikely. It’s clear from the photo that the boom of the One57 crane has been forced over the back of the crane. It’s easy to suggest that this was due to wind. If a luffing jib (Boom) crane has been parked at an appropriate boom angle (60 degrees) and the swing brakes are open, the boom will face in the direction of the wind and it will not blow over the back. A luffing crane under power with multiple limit switch failures can pull itself over the back. I don’t think this has happened in this case. Catastrophic failure is always possible and new ways to cause it come up all the time. Don’t expect anything like this at the L Tower. This thread will provide hundreds of pictures of the L Tower crane blowing in the wind at 60 degrees.

CNN has a live feed of this situation and the tip of the failed boom can be seen moving slightly back and forth. At the risk of stating the obvious, this is not over yet. A brief description of metal fatigue will help explain what I mean. Grab an empty beer can by the top and bottom and try to pull it apart. Not happening. Crush it a little and then fold it back and forth a few times and you’re Hulk Hogan. It rips apart like paper. The constant motion of the already bent steel in the collapsed boom will more than likely produce more drama. Steveve should keep his distance.

Back