Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Almost finished. The materials and workmanship are very high quality which makes one wonder why the tower itself didn't receive this kind of attention to detail.

2tOoc3S.jpg

uJOO6rx.jpg

t4PMzF6.jpg

umiSAk6.jpg

This will be a nice little square that seems to be built in a transitory area rather than one where people stop often. I can't help but think that because it's raised and isolated over the sidewalk, it'll end up empty most of the time with the exception of events at the Sony Centre. Worse still, everything about this square looks very attractive to skateboarders and could very easily end up completely destroyed since the metal panels dent with ease.

I'm not very familiar with the inside of the Sony Centre. Is there space along the western side to build a restaurant or cafe opening into the square? If so, this space would work great as a patio.

This is a well built space in search of a good use.

Last edited:
I notice that the L-Tower builders have STILL not finished the siding alongside the Plaza (and along Yonge and The Esplanade too.) Quite apart from the crane saga, they really are terribly incompetent!

Almost finished. The materials and workmanship are very high quality which makes one wonder why the tower itself didn't receive this kind of attention to detail.

This is a well built space in search of a good use.
because the City took over the development of this plaza from the incompetent developer

If I recall correctly the paving will be extended to the Sony Centre forecourt. Is this still in the works?

AoD

It doesn't look like it. When I was there, where the granite and old poured concrete sidewalk meet seemed finished. It didn't look they were preparing to continue the paving beyond this square.

C'est dommage.

AoD

It is my recollection that when they extended/improved the Sony 'forecourt' they very carefully re-used and fixed/replaced the original pavers closest to the building. The new driveway is the standard concrete pavers the City now seems to use (it was formerly asphalt) and I suspect that if $$ ever became available they could be replaced with a higher quality material - though they actually look fine to me and I think that if there are $$ available it could be better used elsewhere at Sony.

The artworks have been unwrapped!

IMG_1291.jpg
IMG_1295.jpg
IMG_1297.jpg
IMG_1298.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1291.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1297.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 297
**wonders if these pictures will look identical on January 1st, 2018**

That's an interesting point you made. The only new tower a year from now that will alter the appearance of the eastern skyline you see in that first photo will be Sixty Colborne, but it will only be 25 storeys tall, so of minimal impact. But yeah, the mini crane atop L-tower will still be there, I'm sure, come Jan. 1, 2018.

Last edited:

Back