Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

I believe it will be installed on the deck that the porta potty is located in skyjacked's photos. there will be a small slit in the façade for it to come out of, IIRC. Udo posted some drawings of it earlier, I'm sure he would be more than happy to provide them if he can find them.

Great photos everyone! Amazing details.

Skyjacked, what can you tell us about installation of window-washing equipment, where it will be positioned and how it will be deployed?

As Innsertnamehere noted, Udo has a couple of good posts on page 271 that describe the BMU and this post shows the frame for the base bolts. I am looking forward to the assembly of the BMU and to see it working.

From this morning

Feb15pan_tmap.jpg

DtTO, I can’t describe in detail exactly what the steel framing or the exterior product will look like because I have only seen concrete drawings. I don’t think I am qualified to present an adequate description in any case. This picture from yesterday combined with the last picture in someMidTowners post from today will help you extrapolate.

Note that the west side of the building is wider than the east (near) side. If you follow the slope of the north face, the west side of the building will be a little more than 5 metres higher than the east side. The south concrete wall will slope that 5 metres. When I say wall, that doesn’t describe the columns and beam that are integral to the wall. As interesting and cool as it is, it is equally detailed and cramped.

The photo of the fan unit you quoted is more or less the top half of one of two cooling towers. I’m sure they could be removed through the openings that were formed around them if it was necessary. All of the wood you see is formwork and will be removed.

I appreciate all of the acknowledgement and thanks for my posts, from you and everyone else. I apologize to anyone that has posted a question to me that I haven’t attempted to answer. I don’t mean to be rude.

Thanks Skyjacked for continuing to provide us all with some fantastic photos ... especially from the top ... it will be great to see the finishing touches from your vantage point as we get closer to the top framing.

SkyJacked, thanks for answering my questions with such a great degree of detail! That last photo you provided is very useful.

^ we need something to fill that gaping hole along the south side of King street.

It may not look like it from a distance but problem is that stretch is already filled with skyscrapers from University to Yonge;
361ft - York Center
361ft - Standard Life Center
600ft - Royal Trust Tower
476ft - Commerce Court North
578ft - One King West

The only low-rise structure in that stretch is the TD Bank Pavilion. I'm sure they'd be a big outcry is someone were to propose demolishing it, even though its a waste of a high density zone.

I love the TD bank pavilion but I really want to see a tower there. I'd like to see a black tower, something like the Columbia center in Seattle with the TD pavilion as a base.

No bloody way.

While this may be the sentiment of most of the architecture fans on this site, (In deference to the purity of Mies' original vision and his place at the pinnacle of iconic architects,) I always think the ghost of the long-gone Beaux Arts Toronto Bank Building suffers another blow when no one thinks of it and how Mies mowed it down in the name of progress. I don't care how much of a Star-chitect you are, these days, that travesty would never happen.

Where were all the lovers of history and architecture back in the mid-60s, who could have saved it?

qOeWLYV.jpg

Last edited:
While this may be the sentiment of most of the architecture fans on this site, (In deference to the purity of Mies' original vision and his place at the pinnacle of iconic architects,) I always think the ghost of the long-gone Beaux Arts Toronto Bank Building suffers another blow when no one thinks of it and how Mies mowed it down in the name of progress. I don't care how much of a Star-chitect you are, these days, that travesty would never happen.

Where were all the lovers of history and architecture back in the mid-60s, who could have save it?

qOeWLYV.jpg

I find historic teardowns to be worth it if it is replaced by a building that defines the city. The Dominion bank complex is one of the most beautiful places in the city, and far and away better than whatever the beaux arts building could have ever given to this city.

Back