Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

790_9.jpg

Originally posted by current on SSC.

Attachments

• 790_9.jpg
    790_9.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 326
While I'm all for celebrating the near topping-off of the L-Tower, does anyone else on this forum have a problem with the "visual" of these acrobats seemingly falling off/from the building? It's only been 11 years and those horrible images of people leaping to their deaths are still well-etched in most people's minds. Not sure that this was the best choice to celebrate the tower's near completion. Some of those close-up photos of the acrobats in their poses are too close to home... I like this building and want to celebrate it, but I find some of those images deeply irksome...

If 11 years isn't long enough then I don't know what is. These people are doing an acrobatic performance, not a Dar Robinson-like dive off of a skyscraper. I think it would be in bad taste if a similar ceremony was used for the new 1WTC tower - but we are in Canada - and that didn't happen here. By your logic it would be offensive to show a plane crash or something with little or no relation to 9/11 in a film. I doubt anyone associated these acrobatics with that topic until your post.

If 11 years isn't long enough then I don't know what is. These people are doing an acrobatic performance, not a Dar Robinson-like dive off of a skyscraper. I think it would be in bad taste if a similar ceremony was used for the new 1WTC tower - but we are in Canada - and that didn't happen here. By your logic it would be offensive to show a plane crash or something with little or no relation to 9/11 in a film. I doubt anyone associated these acrobatics with that topic until your post.

Right. Historical events only have context and matter to the people in the locations in which they occurred. Everyone else is immune. Got it.

PS. Don't even pretend to discuss logic with me, let alone a discussion on what might constitute bad taste. It was a simple heart-felt observation that you apparently don't agree with. Others might. End of observation.

The idea noted above never occurred to me until it was mentioned and I see no correlation. We've had three jumpers in my building since I've lived here, doesn't mean we should never use our balconies or the roof deck again. Around 2,000 people die in motor vehicle accidents every year in Canada, doesn't mean we shouldn't drive any more. I don't mean to sound callus with those examples, they are all horrific and tragic events (as were the terrorist attacks 11 years ago of course), but these are trained people safely performing a choreographed ballet against glass for a celebration. It should be enjoyed and I don't think anything more should be made of it.

Since I started a post here I've got to give a big shout-out to you folks taking all of these sensational photos, great job and thank you!

The cladding looks beautiful at night, assuming no photoshopping tricks in the pics posted. The concept for the public space is an epic fail, however... a grassy knole? Really?? This looks like a student design project from 2003... graded 'c'.

NIL OMNI:

Didn't stop anyone from making a movie (movies?) and otherwise profit from (or justify public policy through) the formentioned event in a myriad of ways. Now that's the real offense - not some art troupe celebrating the opening of a new tower with an act that has no calculated intent to reference 9/11.

AoD

The first thing I thought of when I saw the images of the rehearsal was "The Falling Man" famous photograph of the events of 9/11, but that is because the above images are still-images and not the graceful ballet that motion would convey. Just because it was the first thing that I thought of did not prevent me from enjoying the art form for what it is. That was just my personal hangup because my Ex lost his brother in the North Tower and it hits very close to home for me.

Everyone was impacted differently by those events and some carry the memory much closer to their present life on a daily basis than others who have allowed the images to fade into the past. Neither person is right or wrong for their feelings, but the wrong happens when one side tries to dictate to the other how to live in the NOW.

Right. Historical events only have context and matter to the people in the locations in which they occurred. Everyone else is immune. Got it.

PS. Don't even pretend to discuss logic with me, let alone a discussion on what might constitute bad taste. It was a simple heart-felt observation that you apparently don't agree with. Others might. End of observation.

Did you read that out loud before posting it, or has it never occurred to you that you come off as arrogant and rude?

Last edited:
So don't forget: The real show takes place tomorrow, Wednesday,October 10th 2012 at 7 pm at the corner of Yonge Street and Front Street in downtown Toronto.

For more information go to Studio Libeskind website
I don't see any info at Studio Libeskind website stating it's at 7PM. Would like to take the g/f to see it but need to make sure they start at 7pm. Can anyone confirm?

Back