Toronto The Kip District | 120.44m | 40s | Concert | BDP Quadrangle

@interchange42 you're right, there are two differences on areas where kip district and islington terrace are - even tho they are just one subway stop proximity. the whole stretch of dundas street, from aukland to east mall badly needs to be redeveloped to more livable and transformative area, so hopefully Concert achieves one to lead other developers to take advantage of developing the same. I also think Kip District needs to be priced more reasonable, probably throwing in a free parking spot to purchase price to bring on more sales - the fact it is in the area that is desperate for new developments for more urban growth. kipling station is soon becoming a transit hub accommodating ttc, miway and go.

@stjames2queenwest hydro structures should be all build underground... doubtful if that is ever gonna happen. dundas street, from aukland to east mall would make a nice modernized area only if those for not those hydro structures.

they started the construction... seeing lots of activity there now.
Interesting! Would love to see a photo update if it's convenient for you.

I noticed that as well on my drive into work this morning. All the posters boards are down, they were digging in the south west corner of the lot

With work already started, the ceremonial Ground Breaking event took place this morning. Some pics:

IMG_0161.jpg

DSC04502.jpg
DSC04503.jpg
IMG_0163.jpg
DSC04506.jpg
DSC04507.jpg
DSC04508.jpg
DSC04520.jpg
DSC04509.jpg
DSC04512.jpg
DSC04515.jpg
DSC04519.jpg

Attachments

• DSC04502.jpg
    DSC04502.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 1,183
  • DSC04503.jpg
    DSC04503.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 1,215
  • DSC04506.jpg
    DSC04506.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 1,164
  • DSC04507.jpg
    DSC04507.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 1,195
  • DSC04508.jpg
    DSC04508.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 1,183
  • DSC04509.jpg
    DSC04509.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 1,175
  • DSC04512.jpg
    DSC04512.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 1,285
  • DSC04515.jpg
    DSC04515.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 1,145
  • DSC04519.jpg
    DSC04519.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 1,217
  • DSC04520.jpg
    DSC04520.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 1,178
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 1,182
  • IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 1,221
I'm surprised DiCiano thinks this is a good location to build a condo community. I was under the assumption he would encourage developers to build right next to rail yards and heavy industry.

Enough of my sarcasm though, great pics interchange!

Yes, that rezoning in Grimes' Ward 6 remains controversial… but in fact this development does have a rail line along its southern edge too. It's just that it's all outdated suburban commercial along this stretch of Dundas of course, and not out-and-out industrial a The Kip District at least. This is just the start of redevelopment in this area (high time too), with Pinnacle having recently bought the properties to the immediate west. We have a fuller story up on the front page now here.

It's a very lively stretch with plenty of traffic, obviously there's a mall, the subway and highways here as well. The area has a lot of potential I think.

@interchange42 - do you have a source of information that "Pinnacle having recently bought the properties to the immediate west"... is there a thread for that?
Kudos to Kip District for being first to revitalize the area, as I believe other developers will follow the same suit in few years.

The thread for the property to the west is here. The source for the info re: Pinnacle is a Concert Exec at the ground breaking event. They are now working with Pinnacle re: the internal road system, etc.

@interchange42 you're right, there are two differences on areas where kip district and islington terrace are - even tho they are just one subway stop proximity. the whole stretch of dundas street, from aukland to east mall badly needs to be redeveloped to more livable and transformative area, so hopefully Concert achieves one to lead other developers to take advantage of developing the same. I also think Kip District needs to be priced more reasonable, probably throwing in a free parking spot to purchase price to bring on more sales - the fact it is in the area that is desperate for new developments for more urban growth. kipling station is soon becoming a transit hub accommodating ttc, miway and go.

@stjames2queenwest hydro structures should be all build underground... doubtful if that is ever gonna happen. dundas street, from aukland to east mall would make a nice modernized area only if those for not those hydro structures.

The London Olympics site was built on an old hydro corrdior...they built 2x6km tunnels with a 0.8km spur, to remove 52 pylons. Cost? Roughly $410M CAD. You need to be able to greatly intensify an area in order to justify that cost.

I walked past there yesterday evening and there was a pretty huge stench of gasoline or something similar. From the former CDN Tire gas station maybe?

Back