Toronto King West Life Condominiums | ?m | 25s | Plaza | Gabriel Bodor

Indeed upnorth49 ... I would expect these preast brick panels to be painted such as to represent the rendering ... just as it was done at Tridel's CIRCA project in Markham ~

Pre Paint Job vs Finished Product

Some Precast 'Bricks' Still to be Painted

Hi Solaris, thanks for the info, I've been trying to figure out why the bricks were white and not red. Turns out they aren't even bricks!

Thanks for the updates! I haven't been down to the area for a while. Much appreciated and keep em coming! :)

Does anyone know if there is a proposal to the city for this building? They are developing the land between KWL and the railway. Any way to find out how tall the buildings will be? How many peoples beautiful lake views ruined?!?!

http://twitpic.com/6vkim6

What is the source of that information Minto purchased it?

I was under the impression the land was order by Go and or Metrolinks and the city was working to utilize it for anew East West road through Liberty village...

I got this from Urbanations twitter page.

I thought so too. I went yesterday to take a look at the land. The part that stretches all the way through to KWL phase 2 is very narrow. I doubt they will be able to build a big tower there. The area behind the police building to the west is definitely wide enough for 2-3 towers. If they spent almost 20 million for the land, they are definitely going to build something big.

Anyone with any information on this please post!

What is the source of that information Minto purchased it?

I was under the impression the land was order by Go and or Metrolinks and the city was working to utilize it for anew East West road through Liberty village...

Passed by today and on the most easterly tower they are working on the 20th floor...

October092011020.jpg

Is it possible urbanation circled the wrong property? I'm pretty sure 1 Atlantic Avenue is the property with the two sign towers to the west of Liberty Market Lofts. That's a big chunk of change for a site where anything above 25 storeys will face huge opposition on top of the city desire to keep the area to the west of Hanna an employment area. Does Minto do commercial office?

I'm pretty sure 1 Atlantic Avenue is the property with the two sign towers to the west of Liberty Market Lofts. That's a big chunk of change for a site where anything above 25 storeys will face huge opposition on top of the city desire to keep the area to the west of Hanna an employment area.

Yeah thats the one, i wonder if that includes all the land east of the building to south of the cop shop and further...in that case they may be able to build the taller residential towers on the most easterly portion and the work/live-office lofts on the rest.

The strip is too narrow to develop with highrises. It would be better served as a roadway as well. The city spent a significant amount converting the telecom hotel into the cop shop. I don't see them moving five years later.

With no retail in this huge building, that is going to be one long, boring walk. This would have been the prefect opportunity to animate this dead part of Liberty Village and make it feel a bit more urban. East Liberty Street should have been the main retail/social/commercial hub of all of Liberty Village. Yet another core neighbourhood that should have been great, has to settle for just OK. Imagine what it could have been like if we actually had proper planners, with a vision?

Last edited:
I know what you mean, too bad...i think Liberty Centrals 2-tower retail will make up for that, there is also rumour that some sort of food joint/bar will open up by the old jail house.

I know what you mean, too bad...i think Liberty Centrals 2-tower retail will make up for that, there is also rumour that some sort of food joint/bar will open up by the old jail house.

Yeah but to really animate a street and make it a destination, you really need retail (or some other form of animation) on both sides. Bits and pieces on one side just isn't good enough.

Why take a great industrial district and suburbanize it? It makes no sense. If people want suburbia, they can move to North York. The worst thing for me is, that in Toronto, we have so few areas that have a unique character, so why take one of the few distinctive districts in the central core, and just build like it's a typical, suburban, dead zone? Why does the city let this stupidity happen over and over? It's really frustrating because we had the chance to create a really charming, lively neighbourhood. Something similar to the Meat Packing District in NYC or The Distillery, would have been so easy to create here and what did we get, ugly townhouses, a suburban Metro and an above ground parking lot. WTF!

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, most of the townhomes facing the street are designated live/work. It's a great designation since the direction is open to market demands. Retail investment group that buy block after block only to fill them with the same chain stores are turned off by them as well. You can build all the retail you want however, leasing it is a totally other issue.

The Metro may move across the street into the Kings development as I've seen it on some of First Capital's material. If true, I see the store being replaced by something a lot denser and urban.

Not sure how you would have created a Distillery out of the buildings on site. They were typical mid-century modern warehouses with brick as the base becoming glass halfway up however, single storey, single use with an abundance of surface parking is not fitting for this westend of downtown location.

Last edited:

Back