Toronto KING Toronto | 57.6m | 16s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

What is the slide titled "Exploration of piano designs" ?? Are they really spending that much time figuring out what piano to buy for the lobby?

Basically, they're installing multiple pianos (4 or 5 I think?) into different spots around the building. And I think they're trying to match each piano to the ambiance of the space they're in. It's kinda kitschy, but I like it. Shows their attention to detail.

As a Vancouverite, it makes me proud to see Westbank push the envelope and expectations in Toronto. Raising the bar so that we reduce future repeats of the like of YC condos and 300 front

Just went to the exhibition. Apart from the detailed explanations of the materials that are going to be used (glass blocks, light fixtures, even the type of plants on the terraces and exterior walls), there’s also some furniture by a BIG in-house designer that apparently may be included in the purchase price (the person I talked to was not a sales rep, so she wasn't 100% sure). Also, the courtyard will include some glass rocks, lit at night. Below is a rendering of one of the atria (there will be 4, one for each ‘ mountain’)

Last edited:
Absolutely fantastic project! As an ex-Torontonian who gets back a few times a year, I can hardly wait until I can explore this little city within a city on foot... Those who own condos here might not like it, but this for sure will become a tourist attraction unto itself...

What is the slide titled "Exploration of piano designs" ?? Are they really spending that much time figuring out what piano to buy for the lobby?

It’s a Westbank trademark to have a grand piano in the lobby of each of their developments. It’s part of their interest and passion in the arts.
They work closely with Italian piano maker Fazioli to have a piano custom designed by the architect of the building. Bjarke Ingels designed a minimal boxy piano cantilevered off a concrete wall for Vancouver House, and Kengo Kuma designed one for the lobby for the Alberni he designed for Westbank (also in Vancouver):

At KING Toronto the custom grand piano will be located in the atrium lobby of the East Mountain.
BIG’s interior design team has specially selected furniture from B&B Italia as a furniture package for each of the suites. It’s included for all 1-bedroom and studio units (to better maximize space), and optional for 2-bedroom and larger suites.
The BIG-designed kitchens are also made by B&B Italia.

Last edited:
The person I talked to said construction will start this summer and take 4 to 5 years to complete

I get that this isn't your typical condo tower but 5 years? Does it come with a Downtown Relief Line?

As much as I welcome this development, this is my neighbourhood. It's going to be a construction zone for half a decade? Come on...

I get that this isn't your typical condo tower but 5 years? Does it come with a Downtown Relief Line?

As much as I welcome this development, this is my neighbourhood. It's going to be a construction zone for half a decade? Come on...

How long do you think this should take?

I thought it would be 3 to 4 years, but given that this is a unique project with many first-in-Toronto features, I guess they need more time. Projects like Massey Tower have also taken that long (if not longer). I remember a Japanese acquaintance living near Massey Tower commenting how slow that development was going compared to what she was used to in Japan, and that conversation must have taken place at least 4 years ago!

Back