Toronto KING Toronto | 57.6m | 16s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

Agreed, that was a pretty flimsy critique. The whole Hume piece seemed reactionary rather than constructive.
91sn32Q.jpg

I'm embarrassed for Hume. This building will likely win Design Awards, and virtually everyone I've shown renderings too have been thrilled. Including folks who typically ignore architecture.
It really shines a light on those dark forces that kill innovation. For example, that Teeple tower just off University years ago, and so on.
Similar attacks on Mirvish Gehry back when it was a subject of discussion. Keesmat called it "trite"...

I'm still puzzled as to why they put an art feature that is almost like a tiny representation of the building on the site. The one thing it is doing is causing a buzz in the fine art community, and at the same time most people have no idea that a building similar to the piece is going to be built there. They are shocked when I show the renderings.

I think it is a brilliant marketing on Westbank's part. It's creating a buzz to a lot of people and the public, and sharing/educating the impressive work of BIG to all. Also the numerous talks on architecture, art and design they host to the public is impressive. This is not exclusive to just the real estate industry which most developers tend to do. Westbank mentioned that they have shifted from a condo developer to a cultural developer with their commitment to public art and the art/creative community, such as collaborating with artists, furniture companies, piano companies, galleries/museums, fashion designers, etc. This will be a very public and iconic landmark building so it is great that the public is involved in its development.

Today is the last day of the Unzipped exhibition. It will be dismantled soon and going to the next stop on its worldwide tour which I believe is Shanghai or Beijing. A Christmas market is coming this week with potentially a skating rink on the site as the pavilion is being dismantled, which will take a month to do.

I've seen the piece everywhere on Instagram.

Dare I say it, but it was probably more effective than all the statutory public consultations we go through in this city/province.

All the trees along King spanning the length of the development have been boxed in. This can’t be about to go under construction this quickly, can it?

You mean they're going to start building this project ? Can't wait to see it fully built !

While the tree protection zone components are a sign of progress, unfortunately there will be a number of steps before actual principal construction can begin. The development will incorporate a number of the existing building facades. I believe that support structures such as used for the Westinghouse building in the King Blue project, or the existing building in the 19 Duncan project, will be required. As such, I suspect that the tree protection zones being implemented at this time would relate to the upcoming arrival (no idea when) of heavy equipment to build the wall retention structures on the King Street buildings.

Given the time required to create the foundation for the retention structures, erect the structures themselves, demolition of the building components not being retained, and then the whole shoring and excavation process, probably quite a while before actual building of the building itself will start.

Given these issues - watching and waiting for this one to actually start the build process - forming and pouring of the foundations, starting the growth up - is going to need a lot of patience.....

I know that thanks ! As long as the project gets started it's worth the wait to see something different in the city !

Back