Toronto King Blue by Greenland | 155.75m | 48s | Greenland | Arcadis

I'm all for development but all these huge developments reek of a cash grab. There are plenty of amazing mid rize projects being built in places. What ever happened to building where appropriate and over time.
That's all well and good, but I'm sure they'd have to charge like 700-1,000 psf if they built under 20 stories to recoup their costs for the extremely valuable land alone, and that might not be feasible. These traditionally mid-rise neighbourhoods are doomed by their own appeal :/

Brad Lamb is building attractive mid rise condos for around $500/sq ft. These guys are going to be charging probably $700/sq ft anyway.

WOW! I never thought I'd see a condo with wind turbines at the top. Very awesome stuff. People will eat this up!

WOW! I never thought I'd see a condo with wind turbines at the top. Very awesome stuff. People will eat this up!
definitely. i can see the ads saying this will be the most green condo in toronto.

All the "fan"dangled elements (no pun intended) will be dropped at the first 'cheapening' session, and ultimately one has to wonder if they really actually will serve a purpose or are just there to get city council on-board, by stating that it uses so-called "green" technologies. Then again, who the hell knows?

p5

Simply stunning. If this project comes out looking anything like the render it will be an instant icon, and may dispel the Clewes box syndrome once and for all.

All the "fan"dangled elements (no pun intended) will be dropped at the first 'cheapening' session, and ultimately one has to wonder if they really actually will serve a purpose or are just there to get city council on-board, by stating that it uses so-called "green" technologies. Then again, who the hell knows?

p5

Of course they would serve a purpose. They will probably power the whole building on windy days.

None of these proposals would be under consideration at the moment had the OMB turned down the height requests of Boutique II and M5V. Both buildings have been allowed to go much higher than the City wanted for this mid-rise King-Spadina area, and it seems the developers want to run with the OMB's ball.

I should point out that City Council first approved the Festival Tower. That set the bench mark and established a height precedent for the OMB to weigh their decisions against.

Adam Vaughan has actually stated that it was the previous councils decision on the Festival Tower that led directly to the OMB decisions and that all new proposals have to be looked at through the new context that has been established.

/\ Yet I still don't see the expansion of the CBD into a formerly low-rise area as a bad thing. It's not as if we have one or two towers sticking out like sore thumbs - the whole district is changing and is growing up with the rest of the city. Low/Mid-rise infill here? No thanks.

^ The problem I have with that is that there *is* a historic character here, around King/Spadina especially, and the many brick midrise buildings. With all these new 40 and 50 storey buildings around, those old buildings might start to look silly and inappropriate to the point where some will start to call for their demolition and replacement by more highrises, and others (like many here) will shrug and concede, given the "new context".

We should remember that most of these towers are going up on parking lots. There's nothing really being taken away from the neighbourhood as it stands.

Actually Kos, I can point out 3 large midrise heritage buildings that are to be taken over by condos.

This one with the Westinghouse Building, the replacement of the Tonic Nightclub building and the other brick building on the other corner. At least with the one on the North West corner they are just building on top of it but i do believe they are tearing down the Tonic building and just saving the facade of the westinghouse.

Back