Toronto Karma Condos | 165.8m | 50s | Lifetime | a—A

i'm curious to see what happens to rents once all this crap is built/delivered (over the course of the next 2-4 years) and the countless investor units flood the market.

ThomasJ...not really that any of us knows the future, but isn't 100,000 new people coming to the GTA each and every year pretty good fuel to keep this condo buying fire going...

...plus haven't we been hearing for years and years that it's overbuilt...something I've never quite understand unless were building in 'excess' of demand and as my first statement indicates I'm sure at least 'some' of that 100,000 new residents are part of the demand.

ThomasJ...not really that any of us knows the future, but isn't 100,000 new people coming to the GTA each and every year pretty good fuel to keep this condo buying fire going...

...plus haven't we been hearing for years and years that it's overbuilt...something I've never quite understand unless were building in 'excess' of demand and as my first statement indicates I'm sure at least 'some' of that 100,000 new residents are part of the demand.

ThomasJ...I must be more tired than usual b/c I just read my post to your post and I don't know what the heck I'm talking about...you didn't say anything about it being overbuilt...oh man...I'm going to bed!

I'm referring to the bland POS design being regurgitated by a firm with no original ideas.

Well then, welcome to the world of Modernism reborn. Cause that's what modernism was generally about in practice. And more specifically, much of what the likes of Peter Dickinson turned out could be accused of the same thing, and you can't deny the influence of Dickinson on Clewes.

That circular mechanical penthouse within a square frame is interesting. Not because it looks great, but because it hints of Pomo. Is Clewes morphing his style towards a type of Moderist-Pomo hybrid?

Yipes! Here kitty, kitty, kitty.... Let's get back to Karma (the condo).

Okay, sure, Kitty here, (not that I'm certain that you were calling me, but…)

Look, The_Architect plainly has it wrong. Not only is aA not a firm that has no original ideas, but in fact it is a firm with a grand concept, one that calls for handsomely proportioned, cleanly realized details, and the maximum impact from minimal (or no) fuss.

The design here at Karma has a single grand gesture to it, and that is its deferential stance vis-à-vis its neighbour 'The Gallery', a reasonably homely 20-something storey condo tower to the west. Karma's move is to have its western balcony glazing more transparent where the two buildings will be up close, creating more of a visual break and rest between the two, whereas above the height of The Gallery, Karma's transparent edge swaps sides and moves to the eastern edge. The fritted side shifts to the west and nestles in "above" The Gallery, giving Karma visual interst through the illusion of being an offset stack, of having a bit of a lean, while giving it an affectionate recentering of gravity towards The Gallery.

That's not bereft of ideas at all. In fact it shows that aA continues to think things out more thoroughly than most of their contemporaries in town. The visual language may be Greek to some, but take a few lessons and the discourse becomes clearer and clearer.

I was not calling you (in particular) a kitty. I was just trying to get past the bickering. While Karma may not be the most unique and beautiful building, it certainly is a lot nicer than many around. Besides beauty, in buildings as in everything else, is in the eyes of the beholder. I did love Androiduk's whacky idea of placing the historic building half way up the skyscraper. Now THAT would have been unique for sure!! BTW... some of my best friends are cats.

I was not calling you (in particular) a kitty. I was just trying to get past the bickering. While Karma may not be the most unique and beautiful building, it certainly is a lot nicer than many around. Besides beauty, in buildings as in everything else, is in the eyes of the beholder. I did love Androiduk's whacky idea of placing the historic building half way up the skyscraper. Now THAT would have been unique for sure!! BTW... some of my best friends are cats.

it was funny!!

It's better than RoCP, but other than that it's added density, and nothing more.

Back