IMG_3904.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,584
  • IMG_3907.jpg
    IMG_3907.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,589
  • IMG_3912.jpg
    IMG_3912.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,591
Yuck. The last thing Toronto needs is more concrete sidewalks. There will be plenty of paving stones here:

14364602588_39db391ff9_c.jpg

Attachments

• 14364602588_39db391ff9_c.jpg
    14364602588_39db391ff9_c.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 905
I'd be very happy if the final incarnation of the park resembles the site plan above but have a bad feeling it will not and there will indeed be a lot of 'concrete pads / islands' ... the Church street parquet is a great example of how pavers can completely change the feel of any area.

Wait ... here's a perfect example: Compare HTO to Sugar beach ... by far and large everyone will argue one is magnitudes better (maybe one of the best small park spaces in Toronto) and one of the key differences ? Paving material ..

I'd be very happy if the final incarnation of the park resembles the site plan above but have a bad feeling it will not and there will indeed be a lot of 'concrete pads / islands' ... the Church street parquet is a great example of how pavers can completely change the feel of any area.

Wait ... here's a perfect example: Compare HTO to Sugar beach ... by far and large everyone will argue one is magnitudes better (maybe one of the best small park spaces in Toronto) and one of the key differences ? Paving material ..

What causes your 'bad feeling'? Anything at all concrete?

What causes your 'bad feeling'? Anything at all concrete?

Was there an intended pun there btw ? ; - ) 'Anything at all concrete' that is.

Nope, sorry, its just the bad track record of Toronto when WT isn't involved, though I do really like the final result on Church, I'll keep my hopes up.

This is in Friends of Fort York Newsletter for June/July 2014.

Park construction is currently underway. Grading, site servicing, the reflecting pool foundation, and the installation of the lighting are complete. Approximately 25% of the granite has been laid and 25% of the trees have been planted. The contractors will be continuing to lay granite and plant trees over the summer, as well as install the public art, hedge maze, rubberized surfacing, and granite mulch. The Time Strip Gardens will be planted by the Garden Club of Toronto in late summer/early fall, with the whole anticipated to be finished by late fall 2014.

I'm also concerned about the trees. Many have been planted but a bunch are still lying on their sides with bags on their roots (that sounds kinda dirty). With this hot weather, I'm not sure if they'll make it.

Paving materials does make a huge difference - and I have to say that the ones used at Cawthra Park on Church Street, as nice as it is still doesn't hold a candle to Sugar Beach/QQE -and the comparison between City-built HTO and Sugar Beach couldn't be more stark.

Yuck. The last thing Toronto needs is more concrete sidewalks. There will be plenty of paving stones here:

I am curious how much of the fine details are value-engineered out of the final implementation.

I'm also concerned about the trees. Many have been planted but a bunch are still lying on their sides with bags on their roots (that sounds kinda dirty). With this hot weather, I'm not sure if they'll make it.

Yeah, I am really quite concerned about those trees. There is still so much winterkill that still hasn't been replaced yet.

AoD

Last edited:

Back