Toronto June Callwood Park | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | gh3

I see the hideous garbage and recycling bins have made their predictable and shameful appearance again, marring yet another city park.

I see the hideous garbage and recycling bins have made their predictable and shameful appearance again, marring yet another city park.

I wonder if you ever posted a positive thought in this forum. Yeah, those home depot bins are ugly and cheap, but you seem desperately focused only on the bad details.

I feel condovo's pain. Really, it's not a comment on the park per se.

I feel his pain as well, it is the de facto garbage / recycling bin that has come to represent Toronto parks and rec, hopefully at least for select parks they can change this.

With that said, and this isn't targeted directly at condovo's, if I could, I'd purchase a one way ticket for several members on this forum, they can chose the destination, with the stipulation they never post on this form again ... Criticism is great, heck that's how things change for the better, but I'm finding, particularly lately, some members do nothing but criticize, and generally it isn't limited to one particular subject matter, what makes this matter much worse is quite often a lot of their post simply echo their opinions which they have previously stated over and over again ..

Rant over.

Yes they are ghastly but in St Lawrence we managed to get most removed from parks by having the City install the Astral street litter bins around the periphery of many of our parks (David Crombie is a good example.) I suggest someone in Ward 20 should talk to your new Councillor and try to get the same here - this seems to work well for parks which are not too wide and street bins can cope.

With that said, and this isn't targeted directly at condovo's, if I could, I'd purchase a one way ticket for several members on this forum, they can chose the destination, with the stipulation they never post on this form again ... Criticism is great, heck that's how things change for the better, but I'm finding, particularly lately, some members do nothing but criticize, and generally it isn't limited to one particular subject matter, what makes this matter much worse is quite often a lot of their post simply echo their opinions which they have previously stated over and over again ..

It depends. Over time you get to know where the poster is coming from, whether the criticism is borne of maliciousness or frustration. The former is gratuitous and exasperating while the latter is probably part of why one bothers to post here at all. Regardless, it's important to make an effort to make a positive comment every once and a while!

I feel his pain as well, it is the de facto garbage / recycling bin that has come to represent Toronto parks and rec, hopefully at least for select parks they can change this.

IIRC, Corktown Common's beautiful, custom-designed garbage bins fell by the wayside or were "supplemented" by these beasts after city workers complained. These nasty receptacles are also in the beautifully-designed-now-falling-to-ruin park behind 18 Yorkville. It's just such a shame that the hard-won battles that these lovely new parks represent are basically given the finger by the city through moves like these.

Last edited:
IIRC, Corktown Common's beautiful, custom-designed garbage bins fell by the wayside or were "supplemented" by these beasts after city workers complained. These nasty receptacles are also in the beautifully-designed-now-falling-to-ruin park behind 18 Yorkville. It's just such a shame that the hard-won battles that these lovely new parks represent are basically given the finger by the city through moves like these.
As part of 'rationalising' City services the Fordites moved the collection of park garbage from Parks to Solid Waste Management. Unfortunately the Parks guys understood that the 'park furniture' needed to match the parks and could cope with bins in the middle of parks. The SWM guys see their job a "collecting garbage' and were not prepared to drive around parks to do so and their large trucks may actually not be able to do so . They insisted on the bins with wheels so that they can be taken to 'on street collection points" where the mechanical trucks can deal with them.

As part of 'rationalising' City services the Fordites moved the collection of park garbage from Parks to Solid Waste Management. Unfortunately the Parks guys understood that the 'park furniture' needed to match the parks and could cope with bins in the middle of parks. The SWM guys see their job a "collecting garbage' and were not prepared to drive around parks to do so and their large trucks may actually not be able to do so . They insisted on the bins with wheels so that they can be taken to 'on street collection points" where the mechanical trucks can deal with them.

Thanks for the details ! Err, any plan to correct that going forward or will this be the new norm going forward ? What about Sherborne commons, I think they already use the typical bins but not on the waterfront section ?

Thanks for the details ! Err, any plan to correct that going forward or will this be the new norm going forward ? What about Sherborne commons, I think they already use the typical bins but not on the waterfront section ?
Considering it's the City bureaucracy I suspect that it will be a battle park by park!

Perhaps the park designers could come up with a more attractive design in conjunction with waste management ( one with wheels, etc), a design that is not so utilitarian looking but satifies all stakeholders.

The City determines who gets the garbage contract, the City owns the garbage bins, and the City shouldn't be letting itself get bossed around by SWM. If they don't have a solid enough contract this time to be able to dictate what the garbage bins are like, they should switch it up next time. Screw SWM.

Some are. Quite a number of species were planted in the park - about a dozen or so IIRC.

Back