Toronto JAC Condos | 108.5m | 34s | Graywood | Turner Fleischer

I knew this was coming. I walk by it often on the way to a friends place on lower Jarvis and always think to myself, this place is going to conveniently go up one day. I'm not suggesting it was purposely set, I'm just saying I thought that this would happen.

I won't say the owners did it but, they certainly left the property very vulnerable for something like this to happen. No more heritage designation problems for development now that's for sure...hummm!

No surprise. Now it's a tear down. I don't think they can save it now. I walk by there a lot, always homeless looking people hanging around the porch. It was vacant and not fenced off.

IMG_20160104_084210.jpg
Managed to snap a quick shot on the streetcar this morning as the fire was dying down. Assuming the building didn't deteriorate much further since this photo was taken, I don't see why a facadectomy isn't still possible. Though I'm sure the developer's zeal to tear the sucker down has caught like kindling.

Attachments

• IMG_20160104_084210.jpg
    IMG_20160104_084210.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,381
Last edited by a moderator:
After all the speculation that arose after the Empress Hotel fire that it was owner-arson, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion here. This happened on the coldest night of the season, and (if I were to speculate) might guess that it was an unfortunate homeless person trying to get shelter and warmth.

Ya that is a shame. I hope they keep a similar design though. The steps up and the contrasting finishes look really sharp.

I agree probably not the owners. Probably someone cold, or frat kids from next door.

308 JARVIS ST
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York District

Site Plan Approval for temporary parking lot
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 16 257785 STE 27 SA Nov 29, 2016 Under Review

Mediation is the next step for this development proposal at the OMB, with another pre-hearing conference coming up on January 24.

I assume that since the house is still sitting there after the fire, boarded up but not torn down, that the City still very much wants the house to remain and be restored.

Back