Toronto INDX Condos | 178.6m | 54s | Lifetime | P + S / IBI

I've been thinking this for years. Look at Old City Hall. Any other city/town on the planet would have that illuminated beautifully. It looks like we have the clock tower lit with night lights (it's barely visible). Old City Hall is a national historic site and the most impressive piece of architecture in the entire city; and this is how we treat it; with some half-assed, City TV New Year's Bash-chintzy-fireworks-like display? This is a prime example of our apathetic culture. We're so "world class" that we neglect to celebrate our most impressive tangible achievements? This is a city that had the world's tallest free standing structure (yes, I know it is privately owned) stand in pitch blackness for over a decade because the owners were too cheap to light it with incandescent bulbs.

I tried getting the operators of Commerce Court North to light the crown of the tower (like it was decades ago), and I was given a b.s. excuse about them not being able to do this because of LEED certification. That wouldn't even prevent such an undertaking because many LEED buildings already have exterior crown lighting. There is some inexplicable neurosis that infects this city. I can't comprehend why we're so indifferent -- and even hostile -- towards any aesthetic gestures that improve the image of the city. We have no concern for presentation.

This is Toronto:

FPF_Cinnamons_001_Carrot-Pancakes.jpg

Most 1st world cities:

great-culinary-art-what-an-amazi.jpg

Last edited:
Toronto is getting there though! I hope they light up the setbacks of this tower, EY's roof/tip feature (its begging to be lit) & i think they could do something with Shangri-La aswell. Lets not also forget about Trump with its light strip.

Toronto is getting there though! I hope they light up the setbacks of this tower, EY's roof/tip feature (its begging to be lit) & i think they could do something with Shangri-La aswell. Lets not also forget about Trump with its light strip.

Shangri-La has a lighting feature. There's a strip of light along the side of the building. It's just not in your face like some of the other lighting features in the city.

We are not a 'showy' people so I wouldn't slag our fair city. Having said that I have thought Many times why our finest buildings are not shown in their best light so to speak. However we are way more colourful than we used to be in every regard and that's a good thing. When I go downtown at night now I'm more and more impressed.

That's our Protestant British background: if you see it then you see it, if you don't then you don't. It's the difference between showy Paris and utilitarian London. Once citizens realize that it's okay to promote our City, then maybe there will be a greater argument for better night lighting of public buildings. The Toronto sign is a great start to showing off a little.

But London isn't shy about illuminating its buildings. Nor are the Scots (which are supposed to be cheap people). This is a phenomenon that seems to be unique to Toronto.

I am tthinking to take one unit in Indx. But still not sure about that other than the obvious feature of convenience , is it really a good idea to live in an area that with every building surround you with bright night lighting??

I am tthinking to take one unit in Indx. But still not sure about that other than the obvious feature of convenience , is it really a good idea to live in an area that with every building surround you with bright night lighting??

If you face south it could be an issue. Facing north would give you more breathing room+ since it's across from city hall your views are preserved.

No one said every building needs night lighting. If that is a problem for some, then don't live in such an area. And how would it be a problem when one closes their curtains?

Guys like me are the problem Armour.
In your example ... those pancakes look so much tastier than that odd salad arrangement. In fact, you quite literally just made me hungry and I'm now going to go make some.
So much for a healthy breakfast :/

Guys like me are the problem Armour.
In your example ... those pancakes look so much tastier than that odd salad arrangement. In fact, you quite literally just made me hungry and I'm now going to go make some.
So much for a healthy breakfast :/
You missed the point of those pictures. They were to demonstrate utility vs. creativity. I would rather eat the pancakes too, btw. Email me some leftovers.

Back