Toronto INDX Condos | 178.6m | 54s | Lifetime | P + S / IBI

It seems that the people at SSC are in hysterics over this building being torn down. I think that I will wait until that possibility is verified before tearing my hair out. If, as they state on SSC, the interior is a wreck (how can it be, if it contains 65 condo units?), then I could see the interior being scrapped and the exterior being used as a shell for the podium. But as you say, in the video the building appears to be intact.

ScreenShot033.jpg

Based on this rendering, the GA building isn't going to be touched. They are however picking up it's massing for the podium.

From Mercanadian on SSC:

3520ps1.jpg

The Graphic Arts building is clearly going to be left alone.

The uninformed hysterics and the height fetishes are the reason I have not gone onto SSC in years.

Well first off, hurrah that the GA building is safe, second ...wow that looks like Wall St.
I also think that the podium of the Canada tower does a nice job, fitting into its surroundings>

I agree that that's what they had in mind re "modern adaptation"--kind of a throwback to 80s PoMo contextualism...

Limestone would be a more appropriate choice, since that's what the GA Building is largely clad with.

...and in fact it is Limestone at Chaz as well!

^Except on Charles St E, limestone is about as inappropriate as cladding the base of this building in wood siding. (It's just marketing bs for Chaz--red or yellow or even black brick (to match Casa) would be more appropriate....

Limestone is a great material. I don't see it as inappropriate. Natural stone can be quite durable and has a look that's nearly impossible to replicate, especially as it ages. I wish more developments in historic areas would use stone cladding, at least on the podium.

In terms of this development, the new podium section should definitely be clad with stone matching the old building. If it's precast, it'll be too obvious a transition to a cheaper material. This development would have also been a good opportunity for genuine historicism.

Last edited:
This better be one of the last slanted roof proposals in town.... we've seen too many haha!
(Ritz, L tower, 1bloor;sorta, etc...)

But i think the design works for me. And judging by the renders, the cladding looks pretty darn sexy. i'll believe it when i see it.

Back