News   Jul 08, 2024
 407     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 641     0 

Toronto in the World

Chicago?

Honestly...I had a 22 year old American kid ask me, (cause he kind looked up to me..)
"If America is 200 years old, why is it 2008?? What do you say?? :confused:
Hysterical, yet sad!

Some americans say silly things. A buddy of mine took a trip to iceland a couple years ago, and while browsing a gift shop heard some american complaining about how they don't accept american dollars. apperantly she said something along these lines;

"why don't they accept american dollars here? i mean, us Americans travel all over the place, so they should accept our money wherever we go!"

I mean no hate to well educated Americans, who have even a slight understanding on how the world works.

I may as well finish off the heights for buildings under construction. This is the 350m+ list:

1. (7) Dubai, UAE
2. (3) New York, USA
3. (1) Abu Dhabi, UAE
3. (1) Busan, South Korea
3. (1) Dalian, China
3. (1) Guangzhou, China
3. (1) Hanoi, Vietnam
3. (1) Mecca, Saudi Arabia
3. (1) Mumbai, India
3. (1) Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
3. (1) Seoul, South Korea
3. (1) Shanghai, China
3. (1) Shenyang, China
3. (1) Shenzhen, China
3. (1) Tianjin, China

And here is the 400m+ list. Getting seriously tall now, at least double the height of the new Four Seasons...

1. (3) Dubai, UAE
2. (2) New York, USA
3. (1) Busan, South Korea
3. (1) Mecca, Saudi Arabia
3. (1) Mumbai, India
3. (1) Seoul, South Korea
3. (1) Shanghai, China
3. (1) Shenzhen, China

Last edited:
450m+ list, which is the same as the 500m+ list:

(1) Busan, South Korea
(1) New York, USA
(1) Mecca, Saudi Arabia
(1) Shanghai, China
(1) Seoul, South Korea

550m+ list:

(1) Mecca, Saudi Arabia
(1) Shanghai, China
(1) Seoul, South Korea

600m+ list:

(1) Mecca, Saudi Arabia
(1) Shanghai, China

There are no currently under-construction buildings over 650 metres.

You have to wonder what the useful life of these structures will be, and what happens if/when they have to come down. I guess that's for some whiz kid to figure out in 2280.

Hahaha...

Some americans say silly things. A buddy of mine took a trip to iceland a couple years ago, and while browsing a gift shop heard some american complaining about how they don't accept american dollars. apperantly she said something along these lines;

"why don't they accept american dollars here? i mean, us Americans travel all over the place, so they should accept our money wherever we go!"

I mean no hate to well educated Americans, who have even a slight understanding on how the world works.

I encounter that type of comment almost weekly, I agree there is a 20% group of well traveled , well educated Americans, many of whom I consider friends, and they too marvel, at the mentality of many "country" Americans.....I dont mean rural, I mean white trash!!! I tried not to say it!!!???

A couple more for laughs, cos there's no stupid American quote thread......

"Well Pearl Harbor worked for the CHINESE???"...He obv. meant Japanese, but it's all the same to him!

A group of us were talking about the Euro, and its strength at the time and he piped in with..."The EURO!!! Hell yeah that's why I want to move to Mexico"...I mean you cant even make thet up!!

Last, I had someone see my Dutch last name "Van Eijl" to which he responded..." Von Eajjlll, what kind of a last name Is that, some kinda Dracula shit?? Where are you from?? PENNSYLVANIA??? Sitcoms aren't that funny!!!
I was like yea!! Right out side of Pittsburgh!!!

Jets Back,

Your false superiority to a nation of 300,000,000+ smacks of profound ignorance and gives off an of inverse stupidity in it's own right. I suppose I could simply ignore your unending non sequiturs but you've come to dominate this thread with your misplaced patriotism.

Jets Back,

Your false superiority to a nation of 300,000,000+ smacks of profound ignorance and gives off an of inverse stupidity in it's own right. I suppose I could simply ignore your unending non sequiturs but you've come to dominate this thread with your misplaced patriotism.
+1

I am not sure why you think that it takes 6 years to construct a 200m+ building in Toronto. Bay-Adelaide West took 3 years (2006-2009), the Ritz-Carlton took 4 years (2007-2011), the Four Seasons will take 4 years (2008-2012), and Trump, Aura, Ice, Shangri-La and the L Tower are all on pace to finish in 4 years. (I am taking an average of mid-xxxx to mid-yyyy for the construction time.)

Looking at Shanghai, the Shanghai World Financial Centre took 11 years (1997-2008), the Shanghai IFC north tower took 5 years (2006-2011), the Shanghai Shimao International Plaza took 4 years (2001-2005), Wheelock Square took 6 years (2003-2009), Tomorrow Square took 6 years (1997-2003), the Bokom Financial Towers took 5 years (1997-2002) and the Grand Gateways Garden towers took 9 and 11 years (1994-2005 and 1996-2005). That is as far as I checked, but it is clear to me that if anything, 200m+ buildings take just as long if not longer to build in Shanghai as in Toronto.

Checking another city, Bangkok, I find that Baiyoke Tower II took 7 years (1990-1997), The River Tower A will take 6 years (2006-2012), Centara Grand Hotel took 4 years (2004-2008), the MET took 4 years (2005-2009), and The Pano took 5 years (2005-2010). Those are all the ones I checked in Bangkok.

So in conclusion, I find no evidence that tall buildings go up more quickly in developing nations, in fact if anything they take longer.

I wonder how that time line looks like in Dubai and other UAE countries. They usually work overnight 24/7 shifts due to deadlines. Also the sheer height of a tower does not have as much to do with it, as does its actual square footage.

If it's not going too far off topic, what areas do you think have benefited/suffered from the highrise construction? I can certainly see how the intensification has brought increased foot traffic and gentrification to previously downtrodden neighbourhoods, but in general I think condo planning in this city is not well done. There seem to be very low architectural standards and very little thought into where they're placed. Cityplace IMO is a prime example of this.

You also have to realize not every building will be a A class high end building. Cityplace had cheap units that were literally spit out every few years. There are projects that look better, have better architecture and planning.

sweet.....i agree with every word. tour any US city right now and you will so glad to come home....

I agree with many of his points as well. This city is going in the right direction with densifying the downtown core along the subway line. High end buildings demand high selling prices, and until we reach prices like NYC for preconstruction, not many hi end buildings will be going up. I cant think of one city that has a PATH system like we do, which is genius. In the cold canadian winter you dont need to go outside. When its -20C outside I can go in a tank top and shorts to Metro, Starbucks, even the post office. @Mango there is a new development that was just announced in Chicago 610 meters I think: http://www.overseaspropertymall.com...+(Overseas+Property+|+Buying+Property+Abroad)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back