Toronto in.DE Dundas East & Jarvis Condominiums | 65.53m | 21s | Menkes | Turner Fleischer

"Cheap and ugly" vs "expensive and aesthetically pleasing" is a false choice. Good design and aesthetically pleasing material sets can be done on the cheap. It is simply a matter of laziness, lack of creativity and simple incompetency that the "cheap" buildings in this area (this condo, in particular) are ugly.
Probably one of the urban legendary false dichotomies up there with "beggars can't be choosers". /sigh

You're contradicting yourself. On the one hand you say: "It's hard for a developer to put in a ton of money in such a terrible area" while on the other you say: "I live on this block and it really isn't that bad". So which is it?

In my opinion, you're giving developers too much of a pass here. If the area/location is good, or even half-decent, a developer can easily afford to put in more money towards developing a high quality build, and in this particular area there is really no excuse not to do so asides from being just a cheap profit-maxing corporation that couldnt care less of the quality of their product. This area's proximity to various post-secondary institutions, rapid transit, retail, etc should be enough of a selling point to put money into any necessary funding into their builds. Regent Park which was once considered to be a "terrible area", was able to gain quality builds (for the most part) simply because the developers chose to invest in quality material selection. If it can happen in Regent Park, there is definitely no excuse for builds like this regardless of the location.

My original comment was from a pure aesthetic point of view. I've been around this neighbourhood very frequently and I am quite familiar with what's around there. The recent builds we've been seeing are not inspiring in the least and are visually dull and depressing (with the exception of the new Ryerson building), and I will stand by that.

No I’m not I’m saying that Dundas has been a terrible area because of drugs and homeless. As these buildings are put up it has been getting better pushing people further east.

Regent park had a plan and is a very different situation. I really don’t think you can compare the two.

Ryerson’s building hoem is nice the new one proposed is great. Grid is different and looks decent. I will agree it’s ground presence is rough. The one on the southwest corner adds some colour and brick I give it a 7/10 and the retail is decent as well. The Ontario government building slightly up Jarvis is one of my favourite buildings in the city and had an amazing renovation. The building on mutual that’s almost complete looks decent too. Dundas square gardens is fine to me and the retail will be pretty good once places open.

It’s all personal opinion but I personally don’t think it deserves to be called so depressing. There’s a lot more to come and I’m hopeful it will get better than it already is.

Let’s just agree to disagree

"Cheap and ugly" vs "expensive and aesthetically pleasing" is a false choice. Good design and aesthetically pleasing material sets can be done on the cheap. It is simply a matter of laziness, lack of creativity and simple incompetency that the "cheap" buildings in this area (this condo, in particular) are ugly.

Can it really be done cheaply though because it seems like everyone keeps saying every building is bad and how it could have been done better without spending more money.

The average person barely looks up and looks into the detail of a building. We have some incredible buildings here in Toronto and more to come but not every single one needs to be perfect.

1CEB5CBF-7DC5-4656-B4E2-CD579E914C6A.jpeg

Oh wow...............it just keeps getting worse.

This is why we need to fine developers and architects who build indisputably ugly buildings!

The fine should cover the cost of a total re-clad, including glazing.

* Am I being sarcastic......??? *

For the record @Od1n Thank you for the pic; even if it can only draw an angry face!

...putting aside the cheapened and cheezed vision that is erecting before our eyes, I didn't know it had those round bits attached to the back of it. That looks kinda weird, IMO.

This project is polar opposites to Fleur, which is also by Menkes and only a few blocks away. Let's hope they will make a better attempt for their future Filmore's redevelopment project across the street.

That shopping plaza at Dundas & Sherbourne will probably be gone in 10 years and replaced with a condo - at least you won't be able to see this monstrosity from this particular angle. It's a view terminus from the west though, so lucky us it will remain forever!

Back