Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I am curious. How well known and popular is this LRT in Mississauga?

What's the risk of it being cancelled under the Tories?

My brother lives off Hurontario, near Square One. He didn't know much until I told him about it. That to me does not bode well for the future.

Bonnie Crombie has used funding of the Hurontario LRT as a cornerstone achievement of her time in office, and will likely keep doing so into the next municipal election in 2018. Mississauga's councillors (unlike the fine City of Toronto) are much more unified around the HuLRT than say the Toronto councillors in the Scarborough Subway/LRT/whatever debate. The building community in Mississauga LOVES the HuLRT as they see it as a way to build more density. Patrick Brown has taken the stance (at least on the issue of the Hamilton LRT) that he will let municipalities decide what infrastructure they want to prioritize and then follow their lead. I mean Brown has lied tons and tons of times before but that is what he has said on the issue of transit construction. Crombie has also met with Brown at events like AMO, where I am sure that the issue has arisen before. I'm not ready to write off the Liberals in 2018 - but that's my take on the Brown/Crombie/HuLRT scenario.

Also, I have family in Mississauga that aren't on the Hurontario corridor, and they knew about the Hurontario LRT. I'd classify them as mildly informed on community issues, so thats my take on the "local" view of the project.

I am curious. How well known and popular is this LRT in Mississauga?

What's the risk of it being cancelled under the Tories?

My brother lives off Hurontario, near Square One. He didn't know much until I told him about it. That to me does not bode well for the future.
Like most things, there is very little knowledge about the LRT in Mississauga. One only has to look at the turnout for various LRT events to see how small the percentage of the city population was out compare to other things. Even developers in some location along the corridor had no idea of the plan line up to a year ago.

The city has been pushing the LRT corridor close to 10 years under the leadership of the 2 mayors and will remain a platform for Bonnie Crombie. A few members of council are Luke warm to the project as it has no effect on their area at all.

Based on the timetable, the NDP and the Tories will have an expensive cancellation bill to pay if they try to kill the project come election day.

If it wasn't for me, most of my family who lives in Mississauga would have no idea what taking place.

Port Credit is a hot bed for NIMBY's who oppose the extension south of Port Credit Station compare to the rest of the corridor, who were more open to the line.

More people will come aware of the project once construction starts on it in 2018. Especially the car folks, once they start to see the removal of a lane of traffic for them as well the construction mess.

Isn't this fully funded by the province? It makes it much easier for Brown to cancel this. Everyone at Mississauga council is for this because they don't have to pay a penny for it.

Like most things, there is very little knowledge about the LRT in Mississauga. One only has to look at the turnout for various LRT events to see how small the percentage of the city population was out compare to other things. Even developers in some location along the corridor had no idea of the plan line up to a year ago.

The city has been pushing the LRT corridor close to 10 years under the leadership of the 2 mayors and will remain a platform for Bonnie Crombie. A few members of council are Luke warm to the project as it has no effect on their area at all.

Based on the timetable, the NDP and the Tories will have an expensive cancellation bill to pay if they try to kill the project come election day.

If it wasn't for me, most of my family who lives in Mississauga would have no idea what taking place.

Port Credit is a hot bed for NIMBY's who oppose the extension south of Port Credit Station compare to the rest of the corridor, who were more open to the line.

More people will come aware of the project once construction starts on it in 2018. Especially the car folks, once they start to see the removal of a lane of traffic for them as well the construction mess.

What television channels or radio stations are based in Mississauga? Even the cable news channels are not based in Mississauga, but in Toronto. Is even there a Metro Mississauga News edition newspaper or 24 Hours Mississauga edition newspaper?

That's why.

Isn't this fully funded by the province? It makes it much easier for Brown to cancel this. Everyone at Mississauga council is for this because they don't have to pay a penny for it.

Yes, its provincially funded, but the contract for the project should be awarded by the time the election starts, meaning its very hard and messy to go back on. It wouldn't make political or financial sense to cancel it. But I mean it is Patrick Brown, so we will see.

How informed are most people people about transit projects which haven't started construction in general? Most people have too much going on in their life to be up to date about transit projects. Talking with others a lot of people don't know about these projects and even if they know something, its often very little and not up to date. When construction starts thats when more people have some knowledge about it because there is actual visible signs of it and it can spread more quickly by word of mouth and social media these days.

How informed are most people people about transit projects which haven't started construction in general? Most people have too much going on in their life to be up to date about transit projects. Talking with others a lot of people don't know about these projects and even if they know something, its often very little and not up to date. When construction starts thats when more people have some knowledge about it because there is actual visible signs of it and it can spread more quickly by word of mouth and social media these days.

...and the complaints that the public wasn't informed start.

Yes, its provincially funded, but the contract for the project should be awarded by the time the election starts, meaning its very hard and messy to go back on. It wouldn't make political or financial sense to cancel it. But I mean it is Patrick Brown, so we will see.
lots of new governments (both liberal and conservative) have cancelled projects and paid penalties to get out of contracts.....heck, even existing governments have done it recently

What television channels or radio stations are based in Mississauga? Even the cable news channels are not based in Mississauga, but in Toronto. Is even there a Metro Mississauga News edition newspaper or 24 Hours Mississauga edition newspaper?

That's why.
From what I know, there is one Mississauga Newspaper that gives out their news free to housing across Mississauga on Thursdays and Fridays. I've seen their head offices, which are located just north of Dundas along Wolfdale Rd, although it's not a very inviting area. I don't know how widespread their newspaper is across Mississauga, but I'd just assume it's across the city. Anyways, their news brings up development of roads or projects, and general things for the city. They discuss the LRT sparsely, which makes sense since there isn't a whole lot of point in creating similar stories about it until construction actually begins.

From what I know, there is one Mississauga Newspaper that gives out their news free to housing across Mississauga on Thursdays and Fridays. I've seen their head offices, which are located just north of Dundas along Wolfdale Rd, although it's not a very inviting area. I don't know how widespread their newspaper is across Mississauga, but I'd just assume it's across the city. Anyways, their news brings up development of roads or projects, and general things for the city. They discuss the LRT sparsely, which makes sense since there isn't a whole lot of point in creating similar stories about it until construction actually begins.
It is the Mississauga News....part of Metroland.

Patrick Brown has taken the stance (at least on the issue of the Hamilton LRT) that he will let municipalities decide what infrastructure they want to prioritize...

Choosing to let municipalities build what they want and funding it are two different things.

I thought Port Credit was the terminus? Why are they so concerned about it going south of there?

How informed are most people people about transit projects which haven't started construction in general?

I do think there's much more awareness in Toronto, over say the Eglinton Crosstown or TYSSE even before construction started.

I thought Port Credit was the terminus? Why are they so concerned about it going south of there?

Port Credit GO, which is really on the northern edge of the Port Credit neighbourhood. Much of the development is along Lakeshore, which depending on where you are in PC is at least a 5-10 min walk from the GO station.

The initial plan was to bring the LRT right into the heart of Port Credit, but it was scaled back to terminating at the GO station.

I have the feeling once it is built, PC community will be demanding it get extended to Lakeshore.
Since their objections to it were very similar to those much maligned objections of some DT Brampton residents....I don't think so.

The NIMBY objections in PC just came earlier (as the project was unveiled to Mississauga much earlier) and they got their voices heard by their council before this project had much of a profile....so they got a bit of a pass relative to their northern counterparts.

Back