Toronto Hullmark Centre | 167.94m | 45s | Tridel | Kirkor Architects

hmm.... I dunno about that ... other locations sure.

I do like the size / shape of the TLS podium ignoring the crap on it : - )

So if you want a similar project take the TLS podium as is and pop 1 / 2 towers on top. I say this because the podium works well with the square.

Note I'm referring to the shape / size ... not the crap on it or what it's built with.

nice job photoshoping 3D ~ as always ... don't expect anything less from you :D

Hullmark Centre

Neither of these projects are exactly graceful, but despite my earlier criticism, I'd say Hullmark is much more attractive than Gibson.

However, Tridelwebmaster, can you please tell us whether the massive Hullmark project was submitted voluntarily to a Design Review Panel, and if not, why not?

I don't know if it was submitted to a Design Review Panel or not. I start working on projects when they are about to go to market.

Email received from Tridel:

Hullmark Centre - GRAND CENTRAL

Coming This Fall
Register Now

An exceptional condominium address at Yonge & Sheppard

It is grand indeed. Hullmark Centre. A signature development rising at the intersection of Yonge and Sheppard, featuring a prime office component, premium retail fronting onto a vibrant public plaza, and the preeminent condominium residences to grace the North York skyline.

It is undeniably central. Served by direct indoor access to both the Yonge and Sheppard subway stations, this is the most important corner and address in North York - a destination, a hub and a meeting place destined to become a defining landmark.

Link to email (with pics)

Got some info from an agent ... seems like Hullmark Centre is out ~ discussions on cost will be directed to the appropriate real estate thread though

here's the site plan anyways, sizes range from 546-983 sq.ft for 'typical suites', pretty much standard condo size nowadays ..... and 1227-1512 sq.ft. for 'signature suites'

Hullmark_site.jpg

This could turn out to be very nice ... Tridel seems to be improving overall ... at least when it comes to the design of buildings.

My still pretty upset there isn't a larger office component, the city should have (they probably did) attempt to force more to be built.

Although we know what happened with the OMB with the site just a little bit North on Yonge (not the townhouses but the building "Gibson Square")

yes indeed ... empty lot with sign trying to lease out some 1.5-2 storey retail building

Which should ideally be an office building with retail component on the bottom. I really hope they go that route ... although the demand to build offices right now must be very low ... if for only the potential fear of what the market may be like in a few months / years.

I honestly hope they hold out on that site (not the tridel one or basiz) but the one the city owns and is trying to lease. That really really should be a TALL office building. Until the demand comes for that just wait.

this is all I could find on the site at the northwest corner of Yonge/Sheppard

Government Management Committee
Meeting Date Thursday, April 12, 2007
Item GM3.22

Ward: 23

Amendment to Lease Terms – 4804-4812 Yonge Street Necessitated by the Timing of an Ontario Municipal Board Hearing

Background Information
Attachment 1-Sketch PS-2005-064
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2007/gm/bgrd/backgroundfile-2513.pdf
Report-Amendment to Lease Terms-4804-4812 Yonge Street
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2007/gm/bgrd/backgroundfile-2537.pdf

Is this the first time they've confirmed a grocery store will be part of the retail component? I imagine Dominion might want to return to the site to avoid being overwhelmed by all the Loblaws in the area. T&T? Sobeys? Whole Foods? Price Chopper? The only thing it won't be is Loblaws (though you never know...).

They seem to be proposing a direct entrance to the eastern half of Yonge station (the Sheppard line platform), which would be good for general station circulation and access (though it will cause more crowding on the northern stairs between the two platforms).

There's no reason why a ~2 storey retail thing can't be built at the NW corner...it'd be easy to replace with an office tower at some future point. Residential towers are much harder to replace. I don't see much wrong with a complex like Hullmark, which has almost 200,000 sq.ft of office space, a decent block of retail, good residential density, it 'meets the street' nicely, etc. Heck, even the south tower is angled to be aligned with Yonge rather than with the side streets...other than a couple office buildings, I believe only Northtown (also by Tridel) has done this. This is light years away from Gibson Square, which occupies a prime office site as well but offers the city nothing in return...no office space or retail at all, it's kinda ugly, and it replaces a park.

I remember when Element was supposed to be Tridel's "big step forward" but it turns out that 300 Front West and Hullmark mark the real turning point. I'll just pretend that all the other Tridel projects underway don't count.

Anyone notice that the rendering also added a few towers to the area just east of Yonge and the 401. No not the large ones that are already there right next to Yonge on its east side, but an entire community just east of those, some highrise, and townhouses about 3-4 inchs from Yonge on the left.

Any idea what those are? Proposed? Approved?

Back