Toronto Hudson's Bay Centre Renovations | 32.87m | 6s | Brookfield | Adamson

Queen St Store: future 60 story condotel retaining historic base/facade.

Doubtful. Too historic for that to be anything less than controversial, even if there isn't much if any significant interior to be sacrificed.

Maybe a condotel, but not a 60 floor one, except in the dreams of dateless SSCers...

The new Jack Astors is now open between the subway entrance and the Starbucks on the Yonge side of the complex. It's a nice infill there, especially the patio... hopefully it's the first of many projects to reanimate the street around the centre.

The new Jack Astors is now open between the subway entrance and the Starbucks on the Yonge side of the complex. It's a nice infill there, especially the patio... hopefully it's the first of many projects to reanimate the street around the centre.

Moving us one step closer to having a Jack Astors on every corner!

Apparently there was a movie theatre inside 2 Bloor St E, called the Plaza 2 Cinema, and it shows that it was open until 2001. I moved to Toronto in 2000 but I don't recall it.

Does anyone know its exact location? I assumed it was where Fabricland is, but previous posts show that was where the nightclub was.

Apparently there was a movie theatre inside 2 Bloor St E, called the Plaza 2 Cinema, and it shows that it was open until 2001. I moved to Toronto in 2000 but I don't recall it.

Does anyone know its exact location? I assumed it was where Fabricland is, but previous posts show that was where the nightclub was.

The entrance to the theatres was in the vestibule between Bloor Street and The Bay; just down the 5-or-so steps to the lower main level. If you were to blow out the back wall of that tiny newsstand you'd find the entrance to the theatres there. However, I'm not sure how this was affected when they built the new office tower entrance and the elevator just to the west of this. The box office was just off the aforementioned vestibule; then a staircase and escalator took you down, facing south, to the two theatres below. They were pretty big but I recall being able to hear the subway nearby.

Jack Astors HBC

The Jack Astors alongside the HBC on Yonge Street was discussed in another thread last summer or fall.
This really animates this former dead space very well and looks good. Must be windy sitting there though!

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

The great thing about the Jack Astor's there is that even if it is not successful - it's much more likely that something will arise to take its place. Ironically, it's a much more significant improvement to the ground level of HBC than the "renovations" they did a few years ago. The Royal Bank remains a physical insult to every person who has ever walked on the corner.

Though - I have to say - what's with the imprisoned little plastic flowers beneath the patio of the Jack Astor's? Tacky.

I think the new Longos at the southeast corner of the building at Park is going to start the slow improvement of the Bloor St frontage. There's only so much though they can do with the section along the Bay, since the main floor of the store is above ground level.

There's only so much though they can do with the section along the Bay, since the main floor of the store is above ground level.

Complete re-development would be costly, but eventually may be necessary. In the time being, they could re-clad the Bay store. White glass? Give it the Louis Vuitton treatment, patterned glass?

I think the new Longos at the southeast corner of the building at Park is going to start the slow improvement of the Bloor St frontage. There's only so much though they can do with the section along the Bay, since the main floor of the store is above ground level.

The sidewalk is quite wide here. What if they expanded outward?

Back