Toronto HighPark Condominiums | ?m | 14s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

Probably more resignation than upsetness under the circumstances--here's a case where existing 60s towers-in-the-park urban renewal really stood as a Trojan horse...

I'd be interested to know what Miller thinks of this development- as this is his neighbourhood. It's one of those deals where it fits the terms of the official plan for the city, but in this instance not necessarily a good a idea. The stretch of Bloor east of Keele has some horrible crap- I wish they would develope there instead.

If whatever is planned for the north side across from High Park turns out to be good, can you imagine the rush to buy in that building? I would love a view to High Park, and if the unit were on a high enough floor, across the park's verdant swath and down to the lake.

I had a beautiful view over the park to the lake from one of those awful HPV highrise boxes. Whatever is built along that stretch will be a money-maker even if it looks like crap.

Let's hope it doesn't. Oh if only an architectural review panel could come into existence in this city before this project gets going...

If anyone ever finds out when these buildings are coming down, I would certainly appreciate knowing - thanks.

Properties Across from High Park

I'm sure all of you may have covered this before, but I can't find it. What is going on with all of those old boarded up arts and crafts (I think) houses across from High Park on north side of Bloor about a block and half west of Keele?

Well, this is usually the process if you want to get rid of an old or heritage home and the city usually doesn't allow you.

1. Purchase property
2. If the property has tenants, evict them
3. Apply for a Demolition Permit
4. Demolition Permit is Denied
5. Board Up Houses
6. Let Houses Rot for the Next few years
7. Houses begin to decay, fall apart
8. Because of the poor state of the houses, the city will then grant you a demolition permit.

How many times have we seen this happen in this city?

Or if the city refuses to grant a demolition permit, then allow the houses to, er, demolish themselves (cf. Walnut Hall)

Oakmount Demolition

It is a shame that these home were not taken care of at all. I lived at 14 Oakmount Road from 1968 to 1999. We also rented. All the residents rented except for a couple of them on Bloor and on Pacific. The homes were georgeous inside. All hardwood floors, mahogany baseboard, wood french doors, woodend pocket doors and huge. We even had a hidden staircase..I guess it was the servant quarters way back when. Even a laundry chute that went from the second storey to the basement. The attic was huge...the second floor had a full size duplex apartment and the main floor also..It is too bad that the company didn't do what they should have to keep these buildings in good shape.

Oakmount Demolition

I read in one of the threads about the brick pillars that used to be at the end of the street at Oakmount and Bloor. Actually there was a car accident and a car crashed into the pillar and knocked it down. The concrete ball ended up in 12 Oakmounts Backyard as a lawn ornament. These pillars where knocked down in the 70's.

If anyone ever finds out when these buildings are coming down, I would certainly appreciate knowing - thanks.
From what I hear, the owners of these (formerly) lovely old homes probably wishes to develop the site for a high-end condominium complex. However, they will hit snags, as, stated by others, they are going about it all wrong. Tenants were evicted. A HUGE no-no with the city of Toronto. There is one hold-out, who has a sign on her door asking concerned citizens to speak to a local alderman re these houses. And, as for 'condos with a view', should they EVER get approved, there is a height restriction on that part of Bloor, in keeping with the city's official plan. I believe it is 8-storys, with mechanical. This will be any interesting one to watch.

An interesting pre-election thing for me to see were the no-hope Tory candidate signs in front of the vacant homes along Bloor...

Back