News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 701     0 

Toronto has 7 Blue Flag beaches, but Torontonians still scared to swim there.

are any of these 'blue flag' beaches near TTC routes? or near Etobicoke?

since the drop in swim is now $2 at city pools, I can no longer afford to go there now.

The 92 bus or 501 streetcar will get you to Woodbine Beach

And the 72B from Union or Pape will get you to Cherry Beach ... though it's not as frequent as the 92 Woodbine bus.

And the 72B from Union or Pape will get you to Cherry Beach ... though it's not as frequent as the 92 Woodbine bus.

For years I'd go to Hanlan's Point to spend a summer afternoon then the clothing optional beach was tested at the south half of Hanlan's Point and within a year or two the north half of the beach became almost completely neglected. I wrote Pam McConnell several times but she had no interest in doing anything about it. There's no sand raking, there's tons of garbage washed up on the beach, no garbage receptacles, no benches etc. so I after a couple of summers I gave up on Hanlan's when I discovered Cherry Beach. Cherry beach was a sh*thole for as long as I can remember so it came to me as a recommendation and let me tell you Cherry Beach (a blue flag beach) is one of Toronto's great secret beach getaways, albeit probably not for too much longer. It's not very busy, it's clean, has renovated restrooms, a restored lifeguard station and the area surrounding it has been re-naturalized. Unfortunately those of us without a car can't get there during the week, the 72B which I catch from the south/east corner of Bay & Front only runs on Saturday, Sunday and holidays. I understand that dogs aren't allowed there anymore either which sucks.

Last edited:
Thanks nfitz, that's great news!

The 92 bus or 501 streetcar will get you to Woodbine Beach

Thanks!

Will have to try it out..
( I normally use a Wheeltrans a lot, but its harder than a brass ball to get rides this time of year, They also dont run on the island, so I'm not very mobile on the island.)

I would never swim in the water, but I definitely have rolled up my trousers and stood knee-high in the lake before. I find the waters out by the Bluffs to be the clearest and they're not that heavily visited for those looking an urban escape.

I would never swim in the water, but I definitely have rolled up my trousers and stood knee-high in the lake before.
It's water ... it won't kill you. I grew up in Kingston, and I don't think I ever met anyone there who was afraid of swimming in Lake Ontario. Why are Torontonians so delicate?

It's not specifically the water, but it's what's on the beach as well. Like the article said, all the 'blue' beaches are on the east end, or the Islands. West end Toronto beaches are pretty filthy in terms of garbage all over the place. Humber Bay Park, which is a bit more 'secluded' and further into the lake seems to be my best bet for clear water and beaches.

Back