Toronto Grid Condos | 157.88m | 50s | CentreCourt | IBI Group

Can someone explain how this works? I thought all new condos have individual in-suite heat pumps that the user controls. I thought central heating / cooling was only in rental or older buildings.
There are still many new buildings (usually taller ones) with fan-coil units that need a central chiller and boiler for heating/cooling.

“I work from home in a corporate job, as many do, and have had to keep my camera off as I appear so hot that it's verging on unprofessional,” Dickey said.

“[I’m] genuinely not trying to be dramatic, but both my roommate and I have felt faint at various stages during the past weeks,” she said.

Not dramatic at all 😂
I've lived in Toronto for 20 years and never had air conditioning. Apart from a few sucky days in the middle of the summer, it's never been an issue. I just got a cheap fan to push the air around when there's no breeze and it usually does the trick. This reads like an Onion article :rolleyes:
that being said, that's exactly the kind of whiney ass, dramatic quote I would have included in my article when I worked in news in another life lol
I live in a 30th floor condo with a south facing unit with floor to ceiling windows and with no building in front of my unit for miles. The AC runs 24x7 and still the temperature never drops below 24-25. It feels extremely hot inside and I have been working from home for over a year. Sometimes I step out on the balcony where outside temperature of 30 feels more bearable than the inside temperature of 24.

Grid condo does not even have balconies. When I can feel miserable in 25 degrees with AC running 24x7, I don't even want to imagine how people in Grid condos are coping up. These glass buildings trap heat that lasts through the night. So you can't even sleep in peace.

I live in a 30th floor condo with a south facing unit with floor to ceiling windows and with no building in front of my unit for miles. The AC runs 24x7 and still the temperature never drops below 24-25. It feels extremely hot inside and I have been working from home for over a year. Sometimes I step out on the balcony where outside temperature of 30 feels more bearable than the inside temperature of 24.

A small dehumidifier made a huge difference at my place on hot/humid days with the same temperature. 24 @ 40% humidity is far more comfortable than 24 @ 80% humidity. Fan-coil units don't seem to remove much moisture from the air.

Let's say you're looking for a place, how would you be able to tell?

The MLS listing should say "heat pump" or "forced air" or "furnace" or something. Usually anything other than "heat pump" listed means it's a fan coil unit. If you're really keen when you go view the unit, crank the thermostat down and wait for the cooling to turn on. If you hear a "droning" or loud "humming" sound it is a heat pump. A fan coil is just a normal fan noise (blowing air).

“I work from home in a corporate job, as many do, and have had to keep my camera off as I appear so hot that it's verging on unprofessional,” Dickey said.

“[I’m] genuinely not trying to be dramatic, but both my roommate and I have felt faint at various stages during the past weeks,” she said.

Not dramatic at all 😂
I've lived in Toronto for 20 years and never had air conditioning. Apart from a few sucky days in the middle of the summer, it's never been an issue. I just got a cheap fan to push the air around when there's no breeze and it usually does the trick. This reads like an Onion article :rolleyes:
that being said, that's exactly the kind of whiney ass, dramatic quote I would have included in my article when I worked in news in another life lol

My mom's house has no A/C and she suffers quietly every summer. It's a furnace there but I guess you get used to it. If you travel to the West Indies or other hot climates where A/C in houses isn't as common, this is nothing.

1st world problems I guess.

My mom's house has no A/C and she suffers quietly every summer. It's a furnace there but I guess you get used to it. If you travel to the West Indies or other hot climates where A/C in houses isn't as common, this is nothing.

I'm not even sure that's a fair comparison...

Reactions: xy3
Many many condos have central heating/cooling through a water system with zero problems when properly maintained (many offices as well) ... it's a stretch to say it's an inferior model ... now of course having an individual unit that can do cooling and heating allows more flexibility for the individual owners. It's a tradeoff, in the central systems, each unit as a fairly simple fan coil unit (it's usually 3-5K if purchased) that effectively a fan (very much how a car radiator works, with the cooling heating coming from the central water system) ... some of these have a supplementary heater as this is typically fairly cheap, larger condo units usually have several of these. The individual units that do cooling/heating are quite a bit more costly and take a lot more space of course.

Your mom is not many stories up in a glass box either. And so it's not really the same comparison.

I know I've posted this angle before, but the building has a real presence from the south; one that will be significantly blocked as the redevelopment of The Grand continues. This will be my last view of it from Market Wharf; as I have mentioned in a few threads, my friends who live there are moving. Taken July 31:

36 - Grid.JPG

Back