Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Maybe this is demonstrating my complete lack of knowledge in construction and structural engineering.

But why would they have to disrupt the retaining walls to fill in some of the existing road on Bloor Street running underneath the overpass (the part with bike lanes) with concrete up to the level of the sidewalk? I'm not thinking of widening the entire underpass, just of reclaiming some of the space from the road for the sidewalk (and saving that for a new dedicated bike path).
I'm not a structural engineer either. I assume burying the existing retaining wall behind a new retaining wall would make it impossible to maintain or monitor. So the new retaining wall would need to be designed to replace the old one.

Maybe someone here with more structural engineering background can comment.

.. I vaguely recall a spot on highway 17 in northwestern ontario that was converted from a underpass to a overpass built near by; and CP opted just to bury the no longer being used underpass. Would of been 15-20 years ago iirc... so if the soil conditions are correct I guess they could just bury it? ..

Maybe this is demonstrating my complete lack of knowledge in construction and structural engineering.

But why would they have to disrupt the retaining walls to fill in some of the existing road on Bloor Street running underneath the overpass (the part with bike lanes) with concrete up to the level of the sidewalk? I'm not thinking of widening the entire underpass, just of reclaiming some of the space from the road for the sidewalk (and saving that for a new dedicated bike path).
The same reason that it is easy to paint lines for bike lanes, but more difficult to have nice separated lanes... the drainage. Sewers on all the roads are along the curbs so if you move the curbs you have to move sewers.

Random pix from 23 October. I think that the lights are new.

IMG_4638.jpeg
IMG_4637.jpeg

The same reason that it is easy to paint lines for bike lanes, but more difficult to have nice separated lanes... the drainage. Sewers on all the roads are along the curbs so if you move the curbs you have to move sewers.
In the Netherlands, many of the grates for sewers are vertically installed along the bike lane curb. I wonder if the city could emulate that if extending curbs, providing drainage to the existing system without having to relocate the sewers entirely.

Taken 24 October. Beam installed. I really hope that there is a staircase going up to the multi-use path going in on the right side of the tracks.
I don't see where they could put a staircase if they put a pedestrian bridge. They would have to knock down the roofing supply store to find the room.

In the Netherlands, many of the grates for sewers are vertically installed along the bike lane curb. I wonder if the city could emulate that if extending curbs, providing drainage to the existing system without having to relocate the sewers entirely.

I've seen similar, especially in Hamilton:

Using that to extend though.....hmm....clogging and maintenance could be tricky?

York Region does this as well:

It looks like they built the width under the underpass to match the build line of the apartments to the west which is thinking ahead. I'm surprised there aren't any development applications on 1360 and 1364 Bloor St W.

Don’t you worry about 1360 Bloor! Lol! I can guarantee you that the land owners are watching these improvements and the coming TOC zoning with glee and are already shopping for a winter house in Bermuda.

Don’t you worry about 1360 Bloor! Lol! I can guarantee you that the land owners are watching these improvements and the coming TOC zoning with glee and are already shopping for a winter house in Bermuda.
That wouldn't happen to be that ratty ass roofing warehouse right next to the railway, would it? I'm shocked that dump hasn't been redeveloped during this sustained condo boom. It's downright suspicious.

Back