Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Exactly. Signalling components may hang around for decades because it isn’t worth ripping out the part that’s no longer needed. No different than the electrical outlet behind your sofa that you don’t use any longer because you rearranged your furniture. It just sits there. Railway circuitry can be “jumpered” to simulate the removed components…. eg a track switch is torn out, the circuitry still “sees“ that the switch is lined and locked (and never changes state) when it is long gone.

I have some difficulty believing that the Brampton diamond will be directly replaced with a walkway or bicycle path. Presumably when the trail is designed and built, there will be considerable attention to appropriate crossing protection. That’s a little more complicated than just pulling out the diamond and replacing with paving. That’s a bit of an apples and Oranges to Davenport.

- Paul
I except there will be no surface crossing as this can become a 4 track corridor with trains every 5 minutes in the next 2 decades. A walkway bridge will be built over the tracks as been the safest way to cross the track and not killing some fool trying to out run a train crossing the surface track.

It was easy removing the West Toronto Diamond as CP upgraded the signals system for the block when the new 4 track bridge went in and after GO started to go under CP corridor. Same thing is supposed to happen for the Davenport Diamond from what I was told by ML.

I was just in Los Angeles, where many of the older crossbuck signs at local crossings are mounted in lengths of boiler tube recycled from old steam engines - yep, they are lasting that long.

- Paul

Will they run test trains the day before?
Yes depending when the track is in place and ready for testing.

They may also do it at night time as that how they did it for the Toronto West Diamond Shift that cause a few hours of delays at the start of service. They had signals issues and a train stuck in the underpass.

Yes depending when the track is in place and ready for testing.

They may also do it at night time as that how they did it for the Toronto West Diamond Shift that cause a few hours of delays at the start of service. They had signals issues and a train stuck in the underpass.

It's going to be really hard for them to run test trains when the tracks are connected to anything.

Test trains will happen late on Sunday night, once all of the work is done.

Dan

It's going to be really hard for them to run test trains when the tracks are connected to anything.

Test trains will happen late on Sunday night, once all of the work is done.

Dan
I guess you miss my comment "When the track is ready"

Shifting along the line will be along how it was done for the west diamond where testing was to late in the day for testing on Sunday, but it was after midnights before it happen with many issues taking place. Was on site for the shifting and testing.

I was down that way this week, and was intrigued by the amount of electrical cabling sticking out through the sound walls.

I'm guessing that this is electrical bonding for the yet-to-be-installed cladding...... which means electrification is that much more close to happening.

- Paul

20230317 Davenport GO 659.jpg

So with the closure over the weekend, how will VIA 1 The Canadian depart Toronto next Sunday?

Take the Weston Sub to the CN sub?

So with the closure over the weekend, how will VIA 1 The Canadian depart Toronto next Sunday?

Take the Weston Sub to the CN sub?
The odd time not that long ago, VIA used to wye the Canadian at Bayview Junction in Hamilton. I suspect that VIA might do this for next weekend, and depart Toronto along the Richmond Hill Line, the same way it enters the city.

I was down that way this week, and was intrigued by the amount of electrical cabling sticking out through the sound walls.

I'm guessing that this is electrical bonding for the yet-to-be-installed cladding...... which means electrification is that much more close to happening.

- Paul

View attachment 462361
That is interesting. You would think they would have routed that internally if, for no other reason, that ease of servicing and inspection. That's some pretty beefy cable at every second or third panel. Electrification or not, it has to be continuously bonded for lightning protection as well as if any utilities cross over it.

That is interesting. You would think they would have routed that internally if, for no other reason, that ease of servicing and inspection. That's some pretty beefy cable at every second or third panel. Electrification or not, it has to be continuously bonded for lightning protection as well as if any utilities cross over it.

It does seem to be a very thorough amount of heavy wiring.

I’m no electrical expert, but I have wondered if such a long, flat metal panel aligned alongside a high voltage AC catenary line might experience some inductive or capacitive effects. Kind of like the outer braid of a coax cable.

Just curious.

- Paul

Back