Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

OK... those expectations are fairly reasonable. I was thinking that by beneficial you meant stations at Dupont and St.Clair or completely silent trains.

I want a silent hover-train that detours up Symington to pick me up at my house.

At last week's Open House, Cesar Palcio (councillor for the area north of the tracks) suggested that he wants a St. Clair station.... Heck, there used to be stations at St. Clair and Davenport too! :)

At last week's Open House, Cesar Palcio (councillor for the area north of the tracks) suggested that he wants a St. Clair station.... Heck, there used to be stations at St. Clair and Davenport too! :)

Those are the requests that worry me. The problem with far fetched requests that seek to turn a GO line into a 12-car double decked streetcar route is that they make more reasonable requests get heard less. On the Georgetown line an Air Rail station in Weston will never make sense.... since when is Weston a hub for the jet set?

I am in favour of more 416 stations. I'm not sure if anything should be done about Dupont and Davenport, but if changes need to be made to those crossings they should strive to be better than they were before. All in all I think it's pretty reasonable and I hope the message doesn't get corrupted by your more militant neighbours.

I want a silent hover-train that detours up Symington to pick me up at my house.

GO has said they would put a station in if the ROW was built. That was like 2004. No way of putting in a station at Davenport unless the overpass is higher sooner as well level. Dupont would be a loction of the milk run station.

Looking at the option of replacing the St Clair bridge, this would allow GO to put in a level station as most of the current area would be on a slope.

The different of between the old one and the new one is the lenght. The old platform went about 50' south of the bridge.

Those are the requests that worry me. The problem with far fetched requests that seek to turn a GO line into a 12-car double decked streetcar route is that they make more reasonable requests get heard less. On the Georgetown line an Air Rail station in Weston will never make sense.... since when is Weston a hub for the jet set?

GO ""NEEDS"" to operate milk run trains where smaller train as used at more station in both 905 as well 416. These stations, as well any new stations in 416, be walkup and be service by transit 100%.

The same can be said for 905 as well with a few exception, where parking will have to play a part as transit doesn't exist nor can be supported by the low density for them.

Taking Action - Part 2

"fighting" might have been a bad choice of words. I know that they are going to go ahead with some form of the project. I just want to make sure the disruption is minimal and we get some sort of benefit out of it. Thanks for the website.

Bad vibes compel GO to replace piledriver

Noise complaints finally bring concessions at Junction rail site

Apr 30, 2009 04:30 AM
Patty Winsa
Staff Reporter

After months of agitation by residents and elected officials, GO Transit is finally testing quieter equipment at its West Toronto Diamond rail expansion.

And the commuter service has agreed to allow the Canadian Transportation Agency to mediate its dispute with the community, which has complained about the noise and vibrations during construction.

Under the agency's new rules, the community could apply to have the work stopped.

The concessions are a huge departure for GO, which has continued work on the Junction-area rail expansion despite complaints about the diesel-fed piledrivers, which have been hammering pieces of a steel interlocking wall into the ground since January.

"It's a long time coming, but at least they're moving in the right direction," says Cheri DiNovo, New Democratic MPP for Parkdale-High Park, who says that in meetings, GO officials "stonewalled or said they couldn't use any other technology.

"I gather that they're very aware finally that this problem isn't going to go away . ..."

Today, contractors begin testing a computer-controlled piledriver, brought from France, which will work the steel walls partway into the ground using vibrations.

The hammer piledriver will still be needed to pound the wall the rest of the way in.

GO ""NEEDS"" to operate milk run trains where smaller train as used at more station in both 905 as well 416. These stations, as well any new stations in 416, be walkup and be service by transit 100%.

That is more like a subway service and without high-level platforms and more than two tracks it would be very difficult to meet that need on the same line that 20-30 minute service to Newmarket is on. A "milk run" all the way to Barrie would be painful.

You're right a milk-run to Barrie would be painful. I guess the ideal implementation would be in conjunction with faster service, so that people would take the local service to the nearest station with faster service. Depending on scheduling it could work effectively in providing a measure of local service that would not ordinarily exist.

Today, contractors begin testing a computer-controlled piledriver, brought from France, which will work the steel walls partway into the ground using vibrations.

wow a french vibrator saved the neighborhood. Seriously though I can hear the pile drivers all the way to dog hill in High Park. Glad there was a solution

wow a french vibrator saved the neighborhood. Seriously though I can hear the pile drivers all the way to dog hill in High Park. Glad there was a solution

Does not look like they want to use the vibrator.:mad:

GO defends response to noise complaints
May 09, 2009 04:30 AM

GO Transit's board of directors defended its public image yesterday in reaction to noise complaints from people living near the West Toronto Diamond.

At what was probably the last meeting before the agency merges with Metrolinx, GO chair Peter Smith took exception to transit officials being called "callous" in their response to complaints about noisy construction on the Georgetown corridor.

"None of us are callous in any way in terms of our dealings with the public or in our responsibilities," he said, after residents' representative Mike Sullivan asked the board to cease piledriving in the area around Dundas St. W. and Dupont St.

GO managing director Gary McNeil said the agency is "doing everything we can to mitigate that noise," but isn't yet committed to using a quieter vibratory hammer.

Does not look like they want to use the vibrator.:mad:

GO defends response to noise complaints
May 09, 2009 04:30 AM

GO Transit's board of directors defended its public image yesterday in reaction to noise complaints from people living near the West Toronto Diamond.

At what was probably the last meeting before the agency merges with Metrolinx, GO chair Peter Smith took exception to transit officials being called "callous" in their response to complaints about noisy construction on the Georgetown corridor.

"None of us are callous in any way in terms of our dealings with the public or in our responsibilities," he said, after residents' representative Mike Sullivan asked the board to cease piledriving in the area around Dundas St. W. and Dupont St.

GO managing director Gary McNeil said the agency is "doing everything we can to mitigate that noise," but isn't yet committed to using a quieter vibratory hammer.

GO chair Peter Smith told GO managing director Gary McNeil he wanted someone to meet with the Principal of the school in question today (Friday) to address their issues.

This is a cop out on GO part as well coming up with a poor construction plan in the first place.

It was their last day on the job.

GO chair Peter Smith told GO managing director Gary McNeil he wanted someone to meet with the Principal of the school in question today (Friday) to address their issues.

This is a cop out on GO part as well coming up with a poor construction plan in the first place.

It was their last day on the job.

So what do you do if the company that does the silent pile driving doesn't bid? Give them the contract anyway?

So what do you do if the company that does the silent pile driving doesn't bid? Give them the contract anyway?
When you write the bid documents, you get to set conditions, such as the use of such equipment. The contractor is going to go with the cheapest method that fulfills all the clauses of the contract.

Back