Toronto Gibson Square Condominiums | 137.46m | 42s | Menkes | Rafael + Bigauskas

Powassan.

See, in Powassen, Old Highway 11 is not known as Yonge Street, it's just plain Main Street. I've long been a naysayer when it comes to claims of Yonge Street being "World's Longest Street" because, while what was Highway 11 veered off of the Yonge Street alignment in the the Holland Landing area of East Gwillimbury, the claim essentially equates Yonge and the Highway. In fact, even by the time you get into Bradford, the first town in Simcoe County, Old Highway 11 (now York Regional Road 1) enters the town as Bridge Street, and exits it northbound as Barrie Street. It does get weird though in rural West Gwillimbury, once you've crossed the 8th Line, as Barrie Street is magically Yonge Street again, even though the real Yonge Street ends in a Holland Landing swamp north of this point, about 5 km to the east. The name Yonge Street disappears again in Barrie's Allandale area, with the street becoming Burton Street. Old Highway 11 then turned corners onto Essa Road, Bradford Street, Dunlop Street, Blake Street, Shanty Bay Road, Ridge Road, etc. etc. etc.

So, all that said…

Powassen?! I think not Good Sir.

Let's go with Thornhill, there's got to be an apple tree in Thornhill. That's practically North York. Close enough.

Yes, all true. I lived very near the point that Yonge St. dips down into Holland Landing and terminates out near Silver Lakes Golf Club at the south end of Lake Simcoe. Had family up in the Powassan and Callendar area years ago..
There must be an apple tree somewhere on Yonge in Thornhill no doubt. There may even be one in the area south of Lawrence in Toronto.

The covered entrance to the new GS complex is very nice, as is the land preserved for heritage purposes. I'll have to visit the little museum one day.

Those smooth tiles are the worst. Even when only wet, they are like a skating rink. Whoever chose those did not think it through. They practically had to bury that area in salt and sand to make it walkable, and even then people were still slipping.

Those smooth stone tiles are slippery even when dry! Anywhere where it's often walked on, it's like a smooth slippery dance-floor. But the little parts along the edges off the beaten path where people rarely step on is still grippy like sandpaper,.... seems the part where people walk on gets sanded down by normal wear and the stone tiles somehow absorbs oil to become slippery.

Anyways,.... if NorthYorkEd can't guess the location from my black and white image from previous post then he's in trouble!!! ;p

135m for the height

y8DOLme.jpg

I have it as 125m + 12.5m = 137.5m,.... but what-ever!

Kris, you gotta measure from the tip of that bowl-hat thingy which isn't completed in that GoogleEarth image

Last edited:
I have it as 125m + 12.5m = 137.5m,.... but what-ever!

Kris, you gotta measure from the tip of that bowl-hat thingy which isn't completed in that GoogleEarth image

Hey you're correct. Should be a bit higher then. Google takes a while to update the buildings :(

There used to be a number of gates along Yonge Street,..... anyone want to take a guess of the significance of these old gates? Where were these gates located? Who owned them? What type of trees are those? General time period? What does this view look like today?

View attachment 72549

Gate_WoodenSidewalk.jpg

Surprised that nobody guess correctly,... anyways, NorthYorkEd, who lives at GibsonSquare, should be kicking himself since it's right under his nose,... literally!

The above view is looking west on Yonge at GibsonSquare about 100 years ago!
DarkSideDenizen is correct about the big Elm tree on Yonge.
South of that private roadway was an apple orchard,.... only one of those apple tree remains,...
North of that private roadway was a row of pine trees,.... behind which you can see Gibson House (the original farmhouse that still stands today behind GibsonSquare)

Here's a more modern GoogleEarth image of the same shot,....

GibsonSquare_gate1.jpg

1st and 3rd photo by Kris in post #385 shows the "preserved" apple tree in front of Gibson Square
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...es-rafael-bigauskas.4157/page-26#post-1035654

Attachments

• GibsonSquare_gate1.jpg
    GibsonSquare_gate1.jpg
    952.3 KB · Views: 1,495
  • Gate_WoodenSidewalk.jpg
    Gate_WoodenSidewalk.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 1,454
NorthYorkEd, who lives at GibsonSquare, should be kicking himself since it's right under his nose,... literally!

Agh, I somehow missed this thread... :)

We have actually moved from Gibson Square to another building in the same area. But I certainly recognize the Gibson house lurking in the background.

Thanks for sharing these, I love seeing these old photos.

Anyone hear who leased the ground floor retail space?

I'm also curious. I wonder if residents of the North Tower, which is above that podium, had an issue with a pub opening there, or if there was some other difficulties with the "3 Brewers" deal.

Boston Pizza...how disappointing

20160705_145000~01.jpg

Attachments

• 20160705_145000~01.jpg
    20160705_145000~01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,032
Last edited by a moderator:
Not too shocking since Boston Pizza wasn't returning to the renovated SheppardCentre,.... I guess they like the area,... just not SheppardCentre new RioCan management & lease terms,....
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...tal-39s-quadrangle.17901/page-11#post-1100425

If the GibsonSquare Boston Pizza is smart they'll also do a better take-out pizza slice counter to cater to all the high school kids going by the area.

IMG_6199.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6199.JPG
    IMG_6199.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,026
Some pics of GibsonSquare "TTC entrance",... which leads to undergound P1 parking level with underground pedestrian access (under construction now) to NorthYorkCityCentre which has direct access to TTC NorthYorkCentre subway station.

IMG_1227.JPG
IMG_1225.JPG
IMG_1224.JPG
IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_1213.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1227.JPG
    IMG_1227.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 918
  • IMG_1225.JPG
    IMG_1225.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 882