Toronto George Brown College Waterfront Campus | ?m | 8s | George Brown | KPMB

^^ Well he has every right to state his opinion and I'm glad he did because I want to clarify something.

He assumes that the practical/efficient model is always going to be less fun or attractive. I don't think that's the case. (ie. Leslie Dan; good use of space; "cool" factor).

He also doesn't consider that perhaps attractiveness is a function of function. Form doesn't necessarily need to follow function, but the two need to be held simultaneously. In my case, I think an attractive building needs to have an element of practicality/functionality or it's simply not attractive. But that's just my extreme view. I do, however, fail to see the point of a non-useful architecture that frustrates, distracts, confuses, and inconveniences users every single day just so it can look "ATTRACTIVE".

Last edited:
I hear you.

You have to learn to love, because you'll only live once :p.

:D

I just think that people need to empathize with the users of a building. Design is great, but to me, a big chunk of good design involves ease of use. Not easy to judge from renderings, though.

I agree with the post above about QQE being a hive of activity -- it's exciting to see. I deliberately drive down to the main LCBO outlet rather than hitting the neighbourhood store, so that I can see how progress is going. The same goes with the massive WDL berm -- it just keeps getting higher and higher! It's going to make the flyover look like a surface street!

:D

I just think that people need to empathize with the users of a building. Design is great, but to me, a big chunk of good design involves ease of use. Not easy to judge from renderings, though.

No doubt. There is architecture of art, architecture of place, and architecture of function. This area and this particular development, given the intended use, seems to lean more towards the latter two than the former. There is no sense of place in this district so the opportunity exists/existed to develop a neighbourhood that leans more towards art and place rather than function. The way I see it, this development helps establish the inescapable precedent for the expectation of built-form in the district. It is likely that the architecture of all other buildings will mimic or be less than this design.

Interesting thought on the new 'nabe.

No doubt. There is architecture of art, architecture of place, and architecture of function. This area and this particular development, given the intended use, seems to lean more towards the latter two than the former. There is no sense of place in this district so the opportunity exists/existed to develop a neighbourhood that leans more towards art and place rather than function. The way I see it, this development helps establish the inescapable precedent for the expectation of built-form in the district. It is likely that the architecture of all other buildings will mimic or be less than this design.

How does the new park or the boardwalk fit that theory? I would argue that, given the 'artistic' details of the parks, the buildings should give way to the parks -- i.e. be neutral and not draw attention. I suspect that many here would argue the opposite -- that this would be a perfect setting for a crazy facade, to complement the urban parks.

Either way, I'm going to be very excited with the boardwalk/bike paths. This will be an amazing bike ride for Riverdalians on weekend summer days: Don Trail, WDL park, the new Cherry, QQE, Sherbourne Park... and then Mill St. Brewery for the post-ride refreshments...

From GBC News:

NEWS AND EVENTS AT GEORGE BROWN COLLEGE

Waterfront campus construction starts
November 2009

Construction has started on George Brown’s new Waterfront Campus.

Workers will spend the next six months preparing the site on Queen’s Quay East for the college’s new Health Sciences building. They’re building a giant underground wall to keep out water from Lake Ontario and digging the four-storey deep hole that will contain the foundations of the building.

When completed the building will house 3,500 students enrolled in Health Sciences programs and the campus is forecast to be a global showcase for interprofessional learning.

They kicked off the project on the morning of Monday Nov. 23 by drilling a giant hole 15 metres deep - two-metres into the shale bedrock – then inserting a steel I-beam and filling the hole with concrete. This underground column – called a caisson - was the first of almost 400 that will eventually line the outside perimeter of the 50 by 100 metre site – making it impervious to water. “It was a very exciting moment for the project team’ says Terry Comeau, Executive Director of Waterfront Campus Development.

Special low-vibration drilling rigs from Germany are being used because work is being done near the aging quay wall and close to the foundations of the Corus building to the west.

There were no unpleasant surprises at the start of construction, says Comeau. In fact, the landfill that exists on the site, dating from the 1950s, was in better condition than expected.

Once EllisDon construction crews get enough of the caisson wall built – at a rate of 8 caissons a day - they’ll start to dig out the inside of the building site – sending truck after truck of soil and bedrock to landfill sites.

Environmental assessments have found some of the soil to be contaminated with “light containments†that reflect the site’s use as a marine terminal for several decades, says Comeau.

Each shipment will be tested and sent to the appropriate Ministry of Environment-approved landfill site, she says.

“We’re taking a pretty good site and making it a great site from an environmental perspective,†she says.

Working over the winter may be hard on the 20 to 30 EllisDon workers at the lakefront site – but cold weather actually makes dealing with waterlogged soil and rock easier because it partially freezes, say Comeau.

The building’s foundation will be built inside a huge hole that remains when our caisson walls are finished.

The building will begin with three levels of underground parking and an underground concourse level that will extend under the road just north of the building, and possibly into another college building that is part of a potential phase two.

While construction continues on the site, planning for the inside of the building is well underway lead by Lorie Shekter-Wolfson, Assistant Vice-President for Waterfront Development and Nerys Rau, Project Manager with the Faculty of Community Services and Health Sciences.

Academic areas and services have been assigned blocks of space within the building after extensive employee input. “It’s a very enthusiastic faculty,†says Comeau.

George Brown has been receiving a lot of support from the City of Toronto, Waterfront Toronto, and other regulatory agencies, who expedited their processes to make sure construction of the building wasn’t unnecessarily delayed, she says.

As the building design is being refined and detailed, the project will go to the Waterfront Toronto Design Review Panel for the second stage of approval in December, she says. “We are optimistic that our positive momentum will continueâ€, says Comeau.

http://www.georgebrown.ca/News/waterfront_construction_nov09.aspx

And the December issue of the WT Newsletter also have an article + new rendering:

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/newsletter/viewnewsletter.php?id=4b213fad699be&template=5

AoD

new render?

4b269bbd5d266.jpg

from
http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/newsletter/viewnewsletter.php?id=4b213fad699be&template=5
via AofD

I'm not sure if this is the best location for a school (especially a Health Science one so far from a hospital), but I like the building. Ever since I visited Cormer Hall I have a new appreciation for KPMB designed buildings.

i don't see how this building is any better than the diamond design next door. when diamond released renders there was something of an uproar from the design review committee. and yet this ridiculous structure passes muster without a peep?

oh how i wish there was a reality type show where toronto could swap architecture firms with other cities for a while. maybe we could get a breather from the relentless blandness of kuwabara and co.

i don't see how this building is any better than the diamond design next door. when diamond released renders there was something of an uproar from the design review committee. and yet this ridiculous structure passes muster without a peep?

oh how i wish there was a reality type show where toronto could swap architecture firms with other cities for a while. maybe we could get a breather from the relentless blandness of kuwabara and co.

Perhaps it is because Corus was the trailblazer, setting the tone for everything else to follow. And now that the followers are pulling into the station we find our outrage justified but our motivation drained. Here we go again…

Or perhaps George Brown gets a pass because of its use. As an institutional building it generates people and movement into the neighbourhood differently than a private corporate fortress and thus its impact is measured not by architectural merit. Corus failed (according to those outraged) because it did not exceed architectural expectations and also because it did not even meet those expectations.

Or perhaps it was the way in which Corus (and TEDCO) conducted business without Waterfront Toronto that gets everyone in rage. George Brown is seen as a collaborator and a partner while Corus was seen as a pirate and TEDCO was seen as a dirty villain.

Most of the outrage at the WT DRP has more to do with descoping between reviews - the elimination of certain design elements at the atrium/roof and the downgrade of materials for the columns from black granite to precast. The decision by WT to withhold funding from the project ultimately lead to most of the said elements being restored.

As to comparison with other cities - be careful what you wish for - I am sure Archivist would attest that 95% of what's built at other locales are equally boring. Besides, where possible WT used internationally acclaimed firms for projects within their purview.

AoD

Last edited:
... and with KPMB ( George Brown ) D+S ( Corus ) and aA ( Pier27 ) designing buildings within a few blocks of one another we have three internationally acclaimed firms that also express the local.

Curious how Kuwabara's design review panel will handle this KPMB design. Obviously he'll recuse himself, but who'll make the obvious statement about how flat and "suburban" George Brown's roofline is once he's out of the room?

^^Jack Diamond?

lol

I haven't seen enough of the George Brown plan to judge. That small rendering isn't nearly enough.

Corus was held to a different standard because it was supposed to be a "landmark" building for this section of the waterfront, funded by public money.

Shoring work on George Brown continuing.

All about this site and it's in-progress neighbours is the steady hum emanating from the Atlas dewatering systems.

I need to double check the area plan, but it looks as though the city will be re-aligning lower Sherbourne slightly to match the main N-S axis of the street.

Attachments

• Lower Sherbourne alignment (1).jpg
    Lower Sherbourne alignment (1).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 457
  • George Brown (1).jpg
    George Brown (1).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 452
  • George Brown (2).jpg
    George Brown (2).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 425

Back