Toronto Garden District Condos | 99.97m | 32s | Hyde Park | a—A

B71707B0-D198-4AC2-A038-CC3DADD70FFB.jpeg

ACD63CC0-1320-4A07-BA7E-97EB72759CE6.jpeg

Eaves installation…

01A43C01-5F47-4839-B07C-9A085A0719F1.jpeg

730BF104-1FF8-432A-98F1-7BFE331C395F.jpeg

DF7C64AE-ED06-4BE5-84F8-D5F88160C50D.jpeg

A4795EB8-3465-4B3C-B179-2975C53D17F0.jpeg

Well the relationship with the heritage is awful and the tower is dreary and banal, but kudos to them for the real slate shingles. That's some impressive work on the mansard roof.

While I do understand the criticism of the restoration I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they did what they could with a limited budget. Anyways the street wall on this side of Shuter has been greatly improved! As for tenants I’d like to see a French café/resto, a Turkish place and something contemporary like Solkatt.

I think this heritage facsimile is bad and very much the wrong approach to preservation. This should have been a robust, right sized podium like Fleur or Elm / Ledbury.

The masonry work is fine, but the recreated facades have a flatness to them, that as another poster mentioned is very reminiscent of those 80s/90s low rise infill projects scattered around the city. The rooflines are also very strange.

I think this heritage facsimile is bad and very much the wrong approach to preservation. This should have been a robust, right sized podium like Fleur or Elm / Ledbury.

The masonry work is fine, but the recreated facades have a flatness to them, that as another poster mentioned is very reminiscent of those 80s/90s low rise infill projects scattered around the city. The rooflines are also very strange.
The mansard with asphalt shingles is :chef's kiss: 🤌

The restored buildings look so much better than before. Especially the windows and cornice details. If only they went with slate roof tiles.

It's always going to be an awkward relationship dropping towers on homes. I'm indifferent to Toronto's obsession with doing it. It's not preservation in the slightest. I find this one was handled quite well. The impression is the homes were left intact instead of facades or half houses. There's also some sense of separation despite the tower cantilevered in the homes air rights

I'm too lazy to look up photos before fire ravaged these homes. I'm going to guess the original slate had long being replaced with asphalt shingles. The developer reconstructing with asphalt shingles as it was before the fire over how it was brand new doesn't bother me at all.

Back