Toronto Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts | ?m | 5s | COC | Diamond Schmitt

^^ City Room. If you pass by around lunch time, you see a bunch of people sitting on the stairs as if they were little children being read a book. lol

I'll stop by there sometime to attend.

Alvin. I don't mind the CityRoom and the whole University Av. presence. It's the Queen St. façade that really bothers me. It's a dead stretch of street with no windows, only ads. I'm hoping the incoming café will help, but that seems very far off as absolutely no work has been done there (you can peek in).

Re: Roof. It looks like corrugated siding. Doesn't look like the beautifully finished horizontal wrap around panels as seen in the rendering.

The vertical strips of siding are dented all over - you especially notice it at night, in raking light.

Still, I won't be thinking of that this afternoon at Sleeping Beauty. The new boy from Texas is making his debut as Prince Florimund and - for all the predictable reasons - I'll be sitting near the stage.

Something about the look of the Four Seasons makes it very unique from many other structures in the city. It looks incredible at night, but as previously mentioned, the siding on the top looks a little out of place and cheapens the overall image. Besides that, I love the way the building looks.

I'm still crossing my fingers that they're not finished with the "crown" as they're not finished with the Queen Street façade windows and café.

It looks to me like they went over budget and ran out of money and are now trying to finish things here and there. The building is functional and that's all that seems to matter right now.

What we need now is a lone donor to come riding on a white horse and put up $5M to $10M to add beautiful finishing touches to the exterior. Is the little square on Queen + University named yet? If not, naming rights could go to the donor.

It seems that corrugation makes anything look cheaper.

The modern (err... postmodern) opera house in Amsterdam has a string of lights along the top of its flytower (which visually was more comprable to 4S's "horseshoe" than the flytower) rather than having it lit up. I think a similar treatment would add to the sparkly esthetic of 4S nicely rather than a "crown" which doesn't seem to be working.

The modern (err... postmodern) opera house in Amsterdam

I gotta admit, this makes our own 4SC look beautiful in comparison:

178964674_a88ecf81ff_o.jpg

It's also a lesson to NEVER use white tile on any building.. First COUGH Canadian COUGH Place COUGH.

The new boy, Zdenek, took centre stage and made a princely debut, though he seemed a bit nervous. I was in the ninth row, with KK just behind me. A full house.

A perfect confection of an entertainment for a Sunday afternoon.

"Great shot - except for the ugly-ass lamp posts."

You beat me to it, Bizorky!! Somebody please tell me these are being replaced.

Good luck. Kyle Rae? I've been asking him for years to put a garbage bin on that very busy intersection. Two terms and many promises later: people still leave trash on/in the newspaper boxes because there's no trash bin. >:

"Great shot - except for the ugly-ass lamp posts."

You beat me to it, Bizorky!! Somebody please tell me these are being replaced.

Zdenek, took centre stage and made a princely debut, though he seemed a bit nervous

I'm getting Aleksandar Antonijevic and his amazing, er, cheekbones (yeah, that it) on Thursday night...

Zdenek, though less comely, has all the makings of an alpha male. My man Guillaume betta watch out.

Rex Harrington as the King ( Queen? ) looked like something out of an Aubrey Beardsley illustration, and did a bit too much swishing around in a big faux ermine gown. He's developing serious marionette mouth, too.

Hume is at it again, from the Star:

Nothing to sing about
You get what you pay for, and Toronto's new opera house is no exception
Christopher Hume laments a lost opportunity to create a symbol of greatness
Jun. 8, 2006. 01:00 AM
CHRISTOPHER HUME

Christofer Hume has missed a major problem with the University Avenue facade: The glass front is completely covered with exterior motorized and computerized shades! I saw them fluttering in the wind and couldn't believe my eyes! How long will they last in our weather? Since when are drapes, blinds or shades supposed to be hanging on the exterior of a building? This is pure insanity!!!

Back