Toronto Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts | ?m | 5s | COC | Diamond Schmitt

Anything can be made to look beautiful...even loading docks.

yelluwskys: You are not the only forum member that is disappointed with the exterior of the opera house, but you do seem to be the most histrionic critic of it, however. We might be able to have a discussion about it if you are quite specific about what it is you find ugly about the design, but a string of block capital letters indicates that you're having a little screaming fit on your keyboard, and that is not particularly inviting for others who might imagine themselves in a screaming match were they to engage you.

Oh yeah, and if Toronto is too dull and boring for you, please feel free to move to somewhere more your own speed, and quit your trolling around here.

yelluwsky:

That shouldn't be an excuse to build such cheap looking community-centre-like Opera House. Just look around the world...look at other's Opera House and look at ours...and we claim ourselves as a world class city, and we can't even afford to build a decent Opera House?

Cheap looking community centres? I don't recall those coming with a curtain-wall 4 stories high using low-iron glass.

Again, that's not an excuse to have such ugly design. I mean, can't they have a good, decent, well designed exterior, and still maintain the goods inside the building? The reason now that people try to focus on what's inside the theater is BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO EMBARASSED TO MENTION THE OUTSIDE, LOL....

Actually, if you follow the literature on the subject, the acoustic focus is always there right from the beginning. It would be helpful if a little research is done on your part before commenting on these issues.

AoD

I imagine that true opera fans will have the final say here. I'm pretty sure if the shows are good it will get the reputation of being a great place to see an opera. As for how it looks from the outside, I think the glass wall will be impressive. I've seen it lit up once at night already and it throws a beautiful light on that intersection. It's subtle, but it's nice.

Besides, this is Canada. We wear tuques and boots. It's a miracle we even have an opera house.

yelluwskys:

Just look around the world...look at other's Opera House and look at ours...and we claim ourselves as a world class city, and we can't even afford to build a decent Opera House?

Could you provide us with some "around the world" examples? If you're thinking Sydney Opera House ($700 Million in today's dollars), please give us more examples.

Stunning Opera Houses aren't exactly the norm. Just because Sydney has a beautiful Opera House, it doesn't mean ours has to be the same.
Does Sydney have an all encompassing museum like ours with an incredible addition like ours by Daniel Libeskind?

I'll agree that I'm not exactly happy about our opera house, but I'm aware of the challenges involved in building Canada's first purpose built Opera House.

Yelluwskys, snap out of the dream world. Realize that governments aren't simple organizations with an unlimited amount of money and power to build whatever they want. I wish it were that easy.

... actually, I'll go right ahead and provide you with some "around the world" examples:

Buxton Opera House
Opera%20House%20with%20flag.JPG

Bucarest Opera House
bucuresti-opera-house.jpg

Hungarian Opera House
014%20%20State%20Opera%20House.jpg

Stuarts Opera House
Stuarts%20Opera%20House-Outside.jpg

Hannover Opera House
Opera%20House%20Hannover%202005.jpg

Austin Opera House
Old%20Austin%20Opera%20House.jpg

Athenaeum Opera House
opera-house.jpeg

... Hey, after looking at that, I'd say we have quite an impressive building by "World's Standards".

^ keep those pictures coming... some very interesting and beautiful structures.

As for Toronto, it works well with the budget. Jack Diamond built a very "Toronto" building and I think it works very well for it's location. I'm somewhat disappointed with the Richmond side... but obviously it is difficult to achieve vibrancy on all corners with the budget, site constraints and back-of-house facilities. The University side is quite stunning and the Queen side should work well once the cafe is open and some trees are planted.

Question: Is there a new TTC entrance in the Opera House or will a new street entrance be built?

if you haven't had the chance to catch a glimpse yet of the partially illuminated glass wall facing university at night, you should. trust me, when you see it, you will forget you ever even saw another side to the building. and they're not even finished yet.

Yelluwskys: Quote - "I'm not saying that we should have something exactly as the Disney Concert Hall...but, come one, we can do better than what we've got. And I don't see there's anything wrong to have something like it?"

- IMO, a Disney Hall type structure would merely create a dead zone that might be pretty to look at from a distance, but would offer little life at street level. The University and Queen facades of the Four Seasons, the most important of the facades, do offer vibrancy and transparancy, especially at night.

Quote - "The whole area is quite dull, and this Opera House just make it worse...just look at the back where it's facing the Sheraton and Hilton, totally unacceptable."

The problem is with the Sheraton and the Hilton, not the opera house. Not all facades of the Opera House are great, but the important ones, those that face the major thoroughfares along University and Queen which are the high traffic areas are fine.

Quote - " And you call that "elegant", LOL. One thing I do agree....The Opera House suits Toronto, "dull" and "boring"... "

nuff said.

"Grass is greener", I fear. And remember the danger of judging other operas vs. ours sinking to an unsophisticated Pugly-voter level (especially when you offer *old* buildings for comparison's sake)...

Mike in TO: According to the TTC's website, a new stairway and elevator will be built connecting the Opera House, at street level, with the concourse level of the Osgoode station. The former staircase at the SE corner of University and Queen has already been blocked off, and will be replaced permanently by the new staircase / elevator. Together with another elevator from concourse level to track level, these will make the subway station "accessible".

As far as the Opera House itself, it is not "spectacular". I would imagine much more money would be required to make it such, and I am told that money doesn't grow on trees, especially given the number of other major cultural projects going on in the city.

The building looks subdued and may be a disappointment to some, but the real test is how it works for audiences. Reports are that a lot of effort went into soundproofing (maybe one reason for less glass than some would like), and the actual acoustics of the hall. If they got these right, it will be a worthy building.

"Grass is greener" is the foundation for all this "world class" nonsense.

( if everything is better somewhere else, the only way we can be world class is to copy other places ).

Yet copying everyone else is precisely what world class isn't about.

Since we're going totally off topic (Sound Test @ Opera House), I've created a new thread to discuss the exterior of the Four Seasons Centre.

Don't get me started on "grass is greener" attitudes. I scream every time I hear "every other city has a ..." or "this doesn't happen in other cities". It TRULY amazes me that people seem unable to hear what they are saying and immediately recgonise the sheer absurdity of it. The whole thing reeks of a belief in simple solutions to complicated problems.

I would personally list this as one of the top 3 issues facing this city. It will be impossible to come to terms with and solve many of the other issues until we become able to have a rational and realistic discussion about what real solutions are.

Back