Toronto Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts | ?m | 5s | COC | Diamond Schmitt

Junglab2002, you have written very well and I tend to agree with almost every point. Thanks.

The comments about the architectural honesty of the building are interesting. The spire on the Chrysler Building serves no purpose but I've never heard anyone criticize it. The same could be said about the expensive stone cladding on the bank towers or the gargoyles on Old City Hall. The Four Seasons Centre is a well designed buiding that's architecturally honest (to a point - it's already been pointed out that even the FSC has "dishonest" elements) but a building with more decoration or a wacky design isn't automatically inferior.

I agree. I also find a contradiction between the idea that it has an honest design and one that equally represents all it's functions.

I should also note that I don't hate the design...but it certainly isn't perfect, and despite bugetary restraints I think there was room for improvement as far as the exterior goes.

Perhaps we ought to think of other places (Boston, f'rexample)where purpose-built opera houses and their like are so acoustically renowned that the relative indifference of their exterior doesn't matter much, in the end. And we're talking about over-century-old examples, at that.

Heck, even in Toronto, Massey Hall might be argued in such terms--nothing more than a big grubby red brick Methodist barn from the 1890s, yet perhaps it provides a more pleasurable and organic soundscape than some of the various venues that have supplanted it...

good point adma. I can't quite understand how good ol' Massey Hall got left behind in this glorious cultural renaissance??

tudararms:

There is a report in the Globe earlier on possible renovation plans for Massey Hall, which will include reopening some of the covered stained glass windows.

AoD

Anyone who hasn't seen the City Room at night, check it out. I passed by last night and it's quite impressive.

Brighter Hell:

The Chrysler building was an art "deco" ( as in decorative ) building that reflected the decorative style of the time, and in that sense I suppose the Chrysler spire served a purpose in celebrating those values.

In my earlier comment I was careful to point out that symbolic decorative elements - such as we see on the OCAD, Ballet School, and CCBR buildings - have a perfectly honourable and appropriate place in contemporary, non-faux, Toronto architecture. I think similarly bold expressive gestures are to be found in the flourish of the City Room glass and grand staircases, and in the huge wooden slatted screen that forms a backdrop to them and offers glimpses through to the performance hall beyond.

Above all, keep in mind that 4SC is the logical culmination-to-date for the *original* "Toronto style", as pioneered by Diamond/Myers, i.e. the kind of decently (yet sophisticatedly) urban-spirited 70s brick neo-vernacular that's become eternally synonymous with the Crombie mayoralty and its urban legacy.

Which--and perhaps this explains some of the backlash/misunderstanding/whatever of 4SC--is probably at its low ebb of popularity today; too "humble" and "homely", I guess, for our starchitect-and-schlock-spoiled times. (Need I mention that this year's Pugly winner/loser, the Glen Lake condo, was the contender which most squarely continued that tradition, i.e. if it were located within the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood, it'd be fine and dandy...)

opera

adma, would you mind terribly in elaborating to all of us just what exactly a 'neo-vernacular' is?

Re: opera

A little more from Robert Everett-Green, from the Globe:

The earth didn't move . . . yet
The jury's still out on the acoustics of Toronto's new opera house. Meanwhile, a few quibbles and caveats

ROBERT EVERETT-GREEN

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

'How was it for you?"

We were all asking that question last week, those of us who got into Toronto's Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts to see and hear what the fuss was about. About 10,000 people have heard something in the place by now, at the opening concerts or at two test events in May. We've gone up and down the glass staircase, peered into the huge pit and weighed the question of whether $150-million has bought a jewel in Toronto's crown or another dull building in a city of blown chances. And the sound quality -- there's got to be at least 10,000 opinions about that, because I've gone through several already myself.

I've been in the hall four times (five, if you count a hard-hat tour) and heard music from six different seats on three levels. It has been a steep learning experience so far, and I'm not just talking about the stairs up to the fifth ring. One thing I'm sure of is that it's mighty interesting to have a new opera house on the block. The place shows a different aspect of itself every time I go, and I've been keeping notes. Here are some of them.

Acoustics is a nerdy form of witchcraft, in which one spell can have many effects: "10 to 15 per cent is black magic," says Richard Bradshaw, the Canadian Opera Company's general director. I felt the truth of that quip most keenly while sitting in the last row of the house, listening to the unnaturally clear and present sounds billowing up to me. I couldn't distinguish the singers' features, but I could hear the softest pianissimo. From two different seats in the third ring, however, the sound was still very attractive but somehow less involving: very distinct, lots of bass, warmly resonant but a little remote.

From a left aisle seat halfway back on the floor, the sound was more voluptuous, but also a bit one-sided, as if most of the orchestra had crowded into that side of the pit.

In sum, I've yet to understand or fall entirely in love with "the sound" at the Four Seasons, but I believe acoustician Bob Essert when he says that the full magic will be revealed only when the company knows the hall better and there's an opera on the stage.

If a small opera house is good, a cozy one is even better: The compact hall interior seemed bland when I first saw it, but after a few nights, it felt homey. Lack of flash turns out to be an asset, and anyway, who needs a distraction from the stage? What a contrast to the voyeuristic foyer, with its glass front, dangling staircase and jalousie wall.

Hearing everything means just that: If I were a musician in the opera orchestra, I'd be excited and scared. Every little sound carries clearly, which is great in a delicate passage, but make a teensy mistake and there's nowhere to hide. Put a dancer on stage and who knows how much racket we'll hear? Shoes squeak, bounding bodies thump to earth. Did you know that National Ballet of Canada dancers talk to each other on stage? Not a little but a lot. It's all a bit worrisome for the company's gala this evening. But they also know (as publicist Julia Drake put it) that "hearing better means seeing better." One sense supports the other. It works the other way too: If sightlines are good (as they are everywhere in the Four Seasons), you'll probably feel more involved in the music.

Bring lots of money or leave your long pointy shoes at home: The cheap seats are also the most challenging to one's sense of level ground, thanks to the saddleback curve of the fifth ring and the rows of handrails that outline a swirling spiral descent to the stage (check out the alarming view from the ring's back corners). Steep stair climbs and skinny entrances into the rows (made narrower still by more rails and jutting step-corners) make a compelling argument for sensible shoes.

Many people fear getting locked in stairwells: What's with the austere, underdesigned stairwells hidden behind doors on either side of the hall? These necessary portals (the elevators are slow and the glass staircase can be slower) look and feel like the way down to the bowels of a parking garage. Every time I've been in them, someone has fretted aloud that the door at the bottom may be locked. There could be a thriller plot here: After a wrenching performance of La Forza del Destino, 50 people find themselves stranded inside the opera house, in evening clothes, with parking running out and babysitters waiting.

AoD

... well at least he realized there were two sets of stairs, descending from Ring 5 to the ground floor, which is more than Rochon did in her review.

I'm looking forward to Wagner's 'Ring' in September, when I'll be in Ring 3. That, according to the volunteer I spoke to on Sunday, has been identified as having the best acoustics of all - if you're sitting at the front, just off centre - according to an internal report he referred to.

Opera House Pride Week

I believe some of us need to take a brief pause from criticizing the building and actually meet and enjoy the Opera House.

I encourage you to join in the FREE celebrations tonight at NPS at 6:30 p.m. for the Ballet's inaugural performance.

Also this weekend, if you haven't don't so already, plan on attending the Open House which run both Saturday and Sunday from 10 - 5:00 PM.

This is Toronto's Opera House which you the taxpayer bascially paid for. Let's take some pride in it, even if for just a brief moment!

On that note, I certainly believe the opening of the house has generated the right buzz especially with GenNext group (23-35) year olds. This is absolutely the right strategy for the future of the Opera and Ballet in Toronto. If we do not engage young adults now, who will support these institutions in the future?

The fact several of my "suburban" friends took advantage of the New Age patrons where approximately 120 seats are reserved on Rings 3, 4 and 5 for the low cost of $20 actually quite surprised me. Especially since I never told them about it, so they heard about it themseleves.

Louroz

Re: opera

... and I met several of them. FM speaks the truth!

Back