Toronto Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts | ?m | 5s | COC | Diamond Schmitt

The top sign is a backlit sign. The lower one are just metal characters.

Getting individual lights for each letter would have required building the sign into the wall. That process would cost much more, would require having known what the sign was like before laying the brickwork and would be permanent. Any future changes to the sign would require tearing down the brickwork.

I quite like the sign. It breaks the monotony of the brick.

I like the sign too. Hopefully future banners will be larger than the one presently installed (which is too small for the space).

I like the sign too. Hopefully future banners will be larger than the one presently installed (which is too small for the space).

I believe a lightbox is destined for that wall. Posters with the currently playing Opera would be displayed there.

Other lightboxes to be installed are for those three "windows" currently covered in isolation blue skin on the Queen Street façade.

I think the building could be livened up with LCD screens instead. They could be had these days for a short budget like the one aflicting the 4Sc.

I find it unfortunate that they were not willing or able to attach the letters for the main typography to the wall individually, as they did with the lower type. It looks so much better, and reads easier, that way.

I totally agree. I don't find the 'Four Seasons' signage that impressive.

The Four Season letters are individually lit. Pics tonight.

Yes, they're individually lit, but the wiring is on the outside, thus they have that black strip across. It is necessary for the reasons I described above.

The new iPod print ads, which I saw in the Dundas subway platform today, remind me so much of the suspended set for the COC's recent production of "Siegfried".

The Globe on acoustics of the hall:

What first-night jitters sound like
Why does COC boss Richard Bradshaw think it's too early to invite the public, and critics, inside?

ROBERT EVERETT-GREEN

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

They've cut ribbon and made speeches, and thanked everyone they could think of who contributed to the spanking-new opera house that stands ready for business on Toronto's Queen Street West. So why is the Canadian Opera Company so keen to get everyone to calm down, and not be too quick to judge what they hear during this week's inaugural performances at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts?

Preconcert jitters alone can't account for the qualms expressed by Richard Bradshaw about what some people (critics especially) may conclude after hearing a few arias. The COC's general director seems convinced that the house is a winner, but he also insists that a new hall takes time to reveal itself fully, to audience and performers alike.

"It's still a work in progress," Bradshaw said, and he wasn't referring only to the hall. After decades of pushing out enough sound to fill the unresponsive Hummingbird Centre, he said, the musicians of the COC's resident orchestra are going to need time to discover how much is enough in the new building, which hosts its first public concert tonight.

They'll have to learn how to react to what they hear, from each other and from the stage. They've even got to sort out where to sit, and how to play from different parts of the pit, at different elevations relative to the stage. Bradshaw and his company have spent the past several weeks racing to assimilate as much as they can about their new digs, because, ready or not, the first public performance happens tonight.

Who knew that taking possession of a custom-built dream home could be such hard work? When it comes to the acoustics of music theatres, it seems, nothing is easy. Designing them has become an immensely complex task, involving fancy computer models and finicky measurements of everything from reverberation amplitudes to the absorptive qualities of seat cushions. Even things that look like ornaments are tested and tweaked to enhance or at least not impede the optimal movement of sound.

All that complexity is a recent development. People have been thinking about acoustics since the time of Pythagoras, but many of the world's great old halls were built with little detailed insight as to what makes a room sound good or bad.

Charles Garnier, who built the Paris Opera in 1875, tried to be scientific, but he found the acoustical learning of his day so contradictory that he abandoned "this bizarre science" and built according to no theory. "I leave success or failure to chance alone," he said.

Garnier was lucky: The hall was a success. He was also fortunate that nobody asked him to build for an audience of 3,000 (the Paris Opera seats about 2,100). One simple reason so many old halls have good acoustics is that they were relatively small. That's why Bradshaw defended his seating target of 2,000 so fiercely, against those who argued that a bigger hall would be better for the bottom line.

Most 18th-century opera theatres were narrow, intimate boxes. They were usually built for royals who had no need of box-office revenues. The music was also small, with orchestras that were skimpy by Wagnerian standards and instruments that produced softer sounds than their modern counterparts. The box evolved into a horseshoe shape mainly because a bulge in the sides brought the balcony closer to the stage.

Halls started to get big as opera did, though the real pressure for larger buildings came as the burden of patronage shifted from royalty to the paying public, and especially as opera spread across the Atlantic. The multi-purpose halls that housed opera in Canada through the latter half of the 20th century (including Toronto's Hummingbird Centre, Montreal's Place des Arts, Vancouver's Queen Elizabeth Theatre and the two Jubilee Auditoriums in Alberta) were all built with the box office in mind. They all have a fan shape, because trying to stuff nearly 3,000 seats into a narrow box would have pushed the balconies too far back. But fanning the walls out makes them less active as resonating surfaces, which is one big reason why none of these halls has great natural sound.

It starts to look simple, doesn't it? Small and narrow is good; big and fanned out is bad. But a new opera house, even a small horseshoe hall like the Four Seasons, has to be much more versatile than similar halls built in centuries past. Eighteenth-century halls were built for the music of the time. The dry, brilliant sound of the theatre where Mozart heard and approved of a performance of The Magic Flute in 1791 might not have been so flattering to an opera by Richard Strauss, even if Strauss's inflated orchestra had been able to squeeze into the pit.

The Four Seasons was intended to be equally good for Mozart and for Wagner, with a pit that accommodates musicians for either, and a set of acoustical panels that can be adjusted to suit works of any size and character. Like all opera houses, the new hall is also supposed to give instruments and voices enough resonance to engage all listeners, and yet not so much that you can't make out what's being sung.

"I wanted something that was warm and had clarity," Bradshaw said. "I wanted bloom and warmth in the sound, and I wanted to be able to hear each section of the orchestra individually."

He would have liked to keep the public (and especially the critics) out till the Ring cycle begins in September. It will take that long, he believes, for the company to figure out how to use the hall.

"We're going to close the hall for two months [after the concerts] and check every bell and whistle, and the orchestra is going to learn how to play there," he said. "Because it's so sensitive. The great thing is that one knows that one has an incredibly sensitive acoustic."

So there it is, the first review: "an incredibly sensitive acoustic." Of course the nature of that sensitivity, and its effect on the sounds made in the hall, are still to be determined. It will take a long time -- years, perhaps -- for the company to grow into the hall and adapt its sound to it. The concerts this week are like snapshots of a new room with a new tenant. The hard-hat construction is over, but another kind of building process is just getting started.

The COC performs in concert at Toronto's Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts tonight, Friday and Saturday.

AoD

From CBC News:

Canadian Opera Company opens new house to the public
Last updated Jun 14 2006 01:20 PM EDT
CBC News

The Canadian Opera Company will throw open the doors at its new downtown Toronto home Wednesday evening for a housewarming gala.

The inaugural concert at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts will feature conductor and general director Richard Bradshaw, the COC orchestra and chorus, and international opera stars such as Canadian Ben Heppner.

The concert will be broadcast on CBC Radio Two's In Performance and simulcast to nearby Nathan Phillips Square, where entertainer David Gale and Toronto Mayer David Miller will host a free outdoor celebration.

A ribbon-cutting ceremony took place last weekend, but several other events will showcase the new opera house this month. Concerts are scheduled for Friday and Saturday, and a public open house is set for June 24 and 25.

New house among world's best: Bradshaw

For more than a decade, Bradshaw has been working towards building Canada's first venue specifically designed for opera. He says he's proud of the final product.

"I think we have one of the two or three really great opera houses in the world," he told CBC News.

Getting the acoustics as close to perfect as possible in the five-tier, 2,043-seat, horseshoe-shaped hall was "king" of the design and building process, Bradshaw said.

"I've always thought that 15 per cent of acoustics is black magic and you're lucky or you're not lucky. Well, we're lucky," he said.

"There's lots of things you can do now with acoustical sound, where you test models to see how sound reflects and you get the proportions right and the reflecting surfaces right. We've got much more than I ever dreamed."

Fans say it's what's inside that counts

Much of the attention to the opera house's design was reserved for the interior auditorium, reflecting Bradshaw's priority on acoustics and the intentions of architect Jack Diamond, who toured the world's best concert halls as part of his research.

As a result, the building's straightforward, grey-brick exterior has prompted criticism of the highly anticipated new venue, which the opera company will share with the National Ballet of Canada.

"As a building, it's a big disappointment," said Toronto Star architecture critic Christopher Hume.

"An opera house is an occasion to celebrate. It's an occasion for spectacle. It's occasion to do something fantastic and I think this building fails on all those accounts."

But Hume's colleague, Star columnist Martin Knelman, says the opera house's designers were right to place the emphasis on the building's interior.

"The Sydney Opera House, which is a great icon to the world, is not particularly good place to see an opera. They've never had the acoustic and the sightlines worked out," Knelman said.

"This is going to be a great place to see an opera."

The COC's debut season in its new home opens with the much-anticipated Ring Cycle in September, marking the first time the company has attempted to stage Richard Wagner's epic four-opera opus as a consecutive series.

The regular season opens in mid-October with Mozart's Così fan tutte.

So Bradshaw is now saying it's one of the top 3...

AoD

The top-three ranking is something they have been shooting for all along, as communication over the last several years to the subscribers will attest.

Bradshaw says he thinks we have a top three, but he and we won't really know for a few months anyway.

Back