Toronto Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts | ?m | 5s | COC | Diamond Schmitt

Bravo. That might be the best thing ever written about the opera house.

I picked up my gown at Harry Rosen today.

They did notched lapels, rather than the shawl I had ordered.

No time to change it now. But it goes back next Thurdsay morning. If they can't wave their magic wand and make it better I get get a new one.

God good! How could they make a mistake like that?

For what it's worth, I've opted for black tie, rather than white.

Well, obviously, they misread the order.

Yes, white tie would be overdressing, for an occasion that isn't strictly even black tie.

It's always better to overdress than underdress. The reson for my change of heart is that one of the women I am going with has decided not to wear a gown but an attractive full skirt and top combo that she acquired for some other summer event a few years ago. As she is not dressing to the hilt, neither should I, given that a gentleman should never outshine the ladies.

I wish I'd been able to corral a date, but it was so last minute - the whole thing kinda flew right past me until your reminder.

Still, I'm seeing the lovely and talented interchange 42 later, which is always a pleasure and will more than make up for it.

Enjoy your evening. We'll have to compare notes online.

I actually have several dates. I've organized a party of charming, well groomed, musically inclined gentlemen and the ladies who love them. But not in that way.

Hume praised this building quite a bit before it was complete (the exterior anyways). Kind of interesting that his opinion has changed so drastically.

I do agree with the article though.

SD:

Yeah, I have actually posted 2 articles on the project by Hume side by side ages ago and his attitude was on both ends of the spectrum.

I will try to repeat that feat tomorrow.

AoD

We need to stop making excuses to believe that the 4SC is a beautiful building. Hume's article represents the opinion and view of most Torontonians who cross that intersection every day.

The best reviews are the unbiased ones. I hear them every day while waiting for the 501 Streetcar.

While millions of people will have to deal with the eyesore that is the 4SC from the street, only 2,000 of them will experience the best of what it has to offer: acoustics and refined interior. I think the former takes precedence in terms of importance in this case.

Hume's article is proof positive that sooner or later, this building will see some renovations in an attempt to make it more pleasing to the street. I just hope that when it happens, UrbanToronto will still be around so that I can quote this post.

The gist of Hume's critique is more that it's "excessively reticent" than "eyesore", I feel.

Watch those armchair/streetcar critics; especially as some of their ideas of "improvement" might be along the lines of wrapping 4S in a RoCP-base-type thingy...

Those armchair-critics are the audience for whom Jack Diamond should have designed for. They're the ones who have to live with it day in and day out.

People aren't stupid, they know when something's not particularly attractive. It's a built in sense in most animals.

Mind you, I don't necessarily like Safdie's design either. It had ballooned to something "too grand" if there ever was such a thing.

A unique form, something engaging, a building that would make one stop and appreciate the structure would have and could have been possible with a little imagination.

Jack Diamond is in my black book for this one.

Back