Toronto Fort York Visitor Centre | ?m | 2s | Fort York Foundation | Patkau

It should be a National Historic Site period. Full stop. No question.

I'd almost relish Rob Ford trying to cancel this though. He's be portrayed as the American invaders and could really play out in a sad, but humorous way.

He's be portrayed as the American invaders and could really play out in a sad, but humorous way.

Considering that U.S. Navy ships will be participating in a cross-border commemoration of this war, Ford will stand out on his own if he does act to cancel this project.

If anyone can go to see Jack Granastein at Fort York on Monday, one can always ask him about the threat to cut funding to the Fort. I'm sure he would have some choice words to respond with.

Yeah he'd be the one guy who's probably rip Ford a new one if he tried to cancel funding for this. As well he should

But none of those have the "cultural symbolism" of Fort York.

Not that they're less "necessary"; more that Fort York's the kind of critical rally point that can benefit those other cases...

Last edited:
The City tender site has a tender for this project.

Description: Fort York Visitor Centre General Contractor pre-qualification
To pre-qualify up to eight (8) service-oriented General Contractors with a documented history of providing quality construction to bid on the upcoming Fort York Visitor Centre to be built at Fort York National Historic Site, Toronto.

It says that the actual tenders will be issued in March: "Tender Date: March, 2011 (estimated)"

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what exactly is that they're digging up? The original foundations for the fort?

Is there a hope in hell that this will be ready in time for 2012? I'm dubious, quite frankly.

Back