Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

The Mirvish Gallery

Thank you for posting the article, I must have missed it. From that article (Aug/18) It does sound like The Eclipse Bldg will remain and house the Gallery which was originally stated to be in one of the new towers. I am glad it will remain as it is a Heritage Site and also the first home of the Toronto Sun.

The development approved by the City always retained the Eclipse Building and housing the Mirvish Gallery on the top floor(s) after renovation. The article is a bit misleading in the sense that Mirvish's first application to the City did not have this specific approach. I believe the only reason Mirvish started this project was to get this gallery built to show off his art collection and find a way to subsidize its operation.

The development approved by the City always retained the Eclipse Building and housing the Mirvish Gallery on the top floor(s) after renovation. The article is a bit misleading in the sense that Mirvish's first application to the City did not have this specific approach. I believe the only reason Mirvish started this project was to get this gallery built to show off his art collection and find a way to subsidize its operation.

Maybe but Mirvish is no longer in control. he sold out to GG - likely with some sort of agreement in place for the gallery, but he doesn't control it any more.

The development approved by the City always retained the Eclipse Building and housing the Mirvish Gallery on the top floor(s) after renovation. The article is a bit misleading in the sense that Mirvish's first application to the City did not have this specific approach. I believe the only reason Mirvish started this project was to get this gallery built to show off his art collection and find a way to subsidize it's operation.

I'm confused. Isn't the Eclipse Building the site of the east tower? Is/was the plan to plop the east tower on top?

Application to amend Official Plan Amendment (OPA) 272 and Site-specific Zoning By-law 1481-2017 for the lands at 260-270 King Street West and 274-322 King Street West. The current site specific OPA and Zoning By-law permits a mixed use development with two building. On the east block an 82 storey building with a height of 275 metres is permitted and on the west block a 92 storey buildng (305 metres) is permitted. The applications proposed to increase the overall metric heights from 275 to 300 metres for the east tower and from 305 to 325 metres for the west tower. The proposal includes a reduction in the overall gross floor area and a reduction of 237 dwelling units overall.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3248484

Back